Five Movies For People Who Don't Like Movies

Movies so good even a self-proclaimed movie-hater likes them.
681

Recently I've come to the realization that I really don't like watching movies. I'm not sure if it's the time-commitment, or the feeling that it ends too soon, or just having to wait for the sequel to come out some years later, but I really just don't dig them. This has cut down my movie-watching costs, yes, as well as limited the amount of time I spend with my friends (friendships based off of sitting silently in a theater for two hours don't usually do well outside of the theater), but it's also made me realize I don't like endings.

TV shows are better- they keep going on and on, so long that the plots deteriorate and you eventually hate the characters. And, for some reason, I consider this better than a movie that begins and ends within two hours.

But I've found some movies that I don't mind. I don't mind that the ending comes when it does, and I don't mind that I can't watch a continuation of the movie directly afterwards.

So here's a list of movies for people who... don't like movies.

1. The Princess Bride (1987)

Arguably the most quotable movie of all time, I don't think there's anyone who doesn't like The Princess Bride. There might be people who don't have particularly strong feelings about it (which in and of itself is inconceivable), but I've never met someone who really hates it. It begins and it ends like a storybook- probably because, canonically, it is a storybook- one being read to a sick boy by his grandfather. I don't want there to be another movie, or more to the story. I'm perfectly happy with who gets stabbed and who rides off on (literal) white horses in the end.

2. Dirty Dancing (1987)

Apparently 1987 was just a really great year for movies. Everyone reading this has most likely seen Dirty Dancing, and already swooned over Patrick Swayze in all black. But going sixteen years of my life without seeing this was a mistake. I've made all of my friends watch it with me, separately, just so I can justify watching it a half-dozen times in a two-week span. I don't feel bad spoiling the ending, because if you haven't seen it in the 31 years since it's come out, that's your own fault. The ambiguous ending that doesn't quite fulfill your hope that Baby and Johnny stay together, but doesn't quite crush it either is strangely satisfying. If only all films could end with a dance to the credits.

3. The Mummy (1999)

My relationship with this movie is pretty strange. I thought I had seen it loads of times on cable, but it turns out I was watching the second installment of the series. Imagine my disappointment when I knew more about the main character's story than the main characters did. Of course, with adventurous romances such as these, many can see the ending from a mile away, but watching Rick and Evy pretend to hate each other for an entire hour was just plain tedious. This didn't ruin the movie for me, though, and it was almost comforting to be reminded that, if there was a second movie, they must survive the first one.

4. Ghost Town (2008)

Full disclosure: I've only seen the movie about three times. This isn't any indication of the quality of the movie, because-- as I mentioned at the beginning of this list-- I don't like sitting through movies. However the times I have been tricked into seeing all 102 minutes of this movie, I've been thoroughly entertained by it. The concept of a regular guy coming back from the dead only to realize he can see dead people- and then proceeding to be annoyed by those dead people-- is just as funny as it sounds. But this movie isn't on this list because it was entertaining. Die Hard was also entertaining, and you don't see a sixth movie being added. Ghost Town makes the list because of the ending. I won't give it away, but it doesn't succumb to the cliches of the romantic comedy genre. It's just the right amount of bitter and sweet.

5. Stuck In Love (2012)

This movie was recommended to me maybe a half-dozen times before I finally sat down to watch it. If not for the memorable celebrity names attached to the title it maybe have never happened, but who can resist Lily Collins and Logan Lerman separately, much less when they're each other's love interests? Sometimes absurd, sometimes sad and always romantic, this movie manages to follow three members of the same family through simultaneous relationships.