11 Movie Moments That'll Make You Shed Some Tears, Unless You're Completely Heartless

It's OK, we've all been there.

98
Jake Hills

Movies. Since the breakthrough that is cinema was born, movies have had the ability to influence public opinion on social issues and have grown into a multi-billion dollar industry. Throughout the years, there have been movies that have been great, some that have been horrible, and some that have transcended from a film to a cultural icon. These films have made us laugh, but some have made us cry. This list is going to focus on the films that left you more emotional than a "Twilight" fan when they found out Kristen Stewart cheated on Robert Pattinson.

Warning: SPOILER ALERTS

1. "Requiem For A Dream": Ending Sequence

Addiction is always a tragic thing to witness. This film takes an up close and personal look at four people as they slowly slip under the waves. You hope throughout the film that there will be a redemption for the characters, however, it never comes. The amazing performances from Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly make the audience emotionally connected to the characters, which makes their fates that much harder to witness. The idealistic vision of Harry's mother at the end of the film drives the point home in a way that no other film has been able to.

2. "Sophie's Choice": Her Choice

The Holocaust was one of the most horrific events in human history, and this movie is a prime example of those horrors. In a performance that won her an Oscar, Meryl Streep portrays a mother who holds a dark secret. It is revealed that she and her children were sent to a concentration camp, and upon entering, she is forced to choose which one will live, and which one is sent to the gas chamber. The scene is as powerful as it is tragic and had me in tears.

3. "The Godfather": Sonny's Death

"The Godfather Trilogy" is one filled with twists and turns. Sonny's death is a consequence of his brother's actions, and seeing the reaction of his father is almost as heartbreaking as the scene itself. The sheer brutality of his murder coupled with the reality that he had a wife and children is what makes the death of the mafia's crowned prince that much harder to watch.

4. "Marley and Me": Marley's Death

A dog is man's best friend, and if you're anything like me, a dog is more like a member of the family than anything else. "Marley and Me", tells the tale of Marley, a goofy, but a loveable dog who helps a young couple move through the trials and tribulations of their marriage. So named after the icon Bob Marley, this loveable pup was a treasured member of their family. Unfortunately, like the man he's named after, Marley couldn't stay around long enough. As he lay on the table in his final moments, his owner (played by Owen Wison) is there with him to solidify that he was a "good boy".

5. "Passion of The Christ": "I make all things new".

"The Passion of The Christ" is one of the highest grossing films of all time. Depicting the last 12 hours in the life of Jesus Christ, it is by far the most brutal and real to life depiction of the crucifixion. Although many found themselves sobbing throughout the whole film, the moment that made me lose control of my emotions was the scene linked above. After witnessing her son endure a horrific scourging at the hand of the Romans and sentenced to crucifixion, she follows him as he is lead through the streets.

Through the humiliation and unbearable agony awaiting him on Golgotha, Jesus is allowed a brief moment of comfort when his mother runs to him after he is beaten to the ground, and she reassures him that she is there with him. As a son watching it with his mother, I cried when I saw it the first time. Whether you are of the faith or not, it is a scene that's truly powerful.

6. "Forrest Gump": Jenny's Grave

The movie that won Tom Hanks an academy award was full of highs and lows. However, watching the lovable Forrest Gump talk to the tombstone of his childhood love after she succumbs to AIDS was a heart-wrenching scene that still gets me everytime I watch it. She was the reason Forrest starting running, and he spent all his life running after one thing, her.

7. "Beaches": Wind Beneath My Wings

There are few things in this life as rare as a true friend. Cecilia and Hillary were best friends for 35 years, going through intense highs and lows together. After Hillary is diagnosed with a terminal illness, Cecilia (played by Bette Midler), decides to take her friend home so she may have some sense of peace in the end. Watching the montage of their time together, ending in Victoria's funeral, paired with Bette Midler's beautiful song "Wind Beneath My Wings", is a scene that leaves you wishing you bought a bulk size box of tissues.

8. "The Notebook": Ending Scene

True love is something commonly debated, and Nicholas Sparks has made a fortune writing a story that justifies its existence. The story of Noah and Allie is both a testament to young love, but a reminder that some things last forever. After caring for Allie in a nursing home after she is diagnosed with dementia, Noah finally finds his peace with the woman he loves as they pass away in their sleep.

9. "Philidelphia": Home Movie

The AIDS crisis was a horrific reality in America that almost caused us to lose an entire generation of young men and women. Tom Hanks plays a gay man who is fired from his job after being diagnosed with the disease. His lawyer (played by Denzel Washington), fights for his rights against discrimination in court. In the end, however, he succumbs to the disease. As his family remembers him through home movies and photographs, it's hard not to shed some tears.

10. "Stuck In Love": Rusty's Heart Break

The emotions and feelings of young adults are often downplayed in modern society, however, this scene is a prime example of someone who is truly broken. Rusty (played by Nat Wolff), learns the hard way that you can't fix everyone, as his girlfriend Kate once again gives into her addiction. As his sister comforts him, you see the side of a young man whose heart's been shattered.

11. "300": The Last Stand

Take away that oiled up abs, leather man-thongs, and Zach Snyder's overused bag of visual tricks, and "300" is a tale of brave men who stood their ground against overwhelming odds against a tyrant. The final stand of the 300 Spartans is a story that has rung throughout history and makes me immensely proud of my Greek heritage. The last scene that depicts King Leonidas (played by Gerard Butler), accepting his fate and embracing his death is one of the most emotional scenes in cinema. As he shows solidarity with his brothers in arms and says a final farewell to his wife, all he can whisper is "my love" before a barrage of Persian arrows ends his life.

Movies have a crazy way of affecting us, and this list is just the tip of the iceberg. Humanity is many things, emotional just happens to be one of our most important emotions. Stay true and don't be afraid to shed some tears!