Movies Are Not What They Used To Be, And Here's My Theory Why

The movie-magic of Hollywood is quickly disappearing

55
EveryPixel

Picture this: It's 1975 and you and your family are heading to the local movie theater to watch the latest release. The smell of buttery popcorn and fruity candy hits your nose, as well as your stomach. You take a seat in the pitch dark theater and the movie screen comes alive. Later, a hush falls over the audience, as the musical score blares through the speaker in what later becomes one of the most iconic pieces of movie music in all cinematic history.

When "Jaws" hit theaters in 1975, it created trepidation and anxiety about even stepping onto our nation's beaches. My dad watched this iconic film when he was just 10-years-old and was forever scarred by the scenes with great white sharks in the pitch-black room. When is the last time a movie generated such a common feeling amongst its viewers?

Movies are meant to make us feel something. It showcases a story, something that seems larger than life, something that real life lacks. Movie directors and actors have that power to share a story that can't be told without the theatrics and dramatic plotlines of movies. But when the same clichés are told over and over again, whether it be the superhero saving the world from evil or a guy finally getting his dream girl, a certain movie magic is lost.

What happened to the movies that grabbed your attention and demanded your focus so that you didn't miss a detail? When I watch a thriller, I want to be thrilled. I want to watch characters that shock me to the core in the way they slip away from the authorities. I want to be confused, and I want to be left demanding to watch the film again to see what I missed the first time around. When I watch a drama, I want to feel the deep emotions that make me cry over characters that aren't real. I need to feel connected to the story in a way that makes me feel like a character in the movie.

Lately, all the movie trailers I see on the TV are lackluster. Sequel after sequel retelling the same story, remakes ruining originals, and movies based on books destroying a good story always seem to make it as “Blockbuster” hits, but as a consumer, I ask for more from Hollywood. Sure, I'll watch the latest Marvel franchise release, however, I want to hear a new story that hasn't been told yet. For the longest time, I have seen myself losing interest in the latest Hollywood hits because of this reiteration of the same stories.

I am no movie-buff, but I truly believe that the best movies of all cinematic history were before my time. There hasn't been a movie in my lifetime that I know will stand the test of time, like "Jaws," "The Silence of the Lambs," or "The Godfather." So much contributes to the identity of the movie, from the acting skills and direction to the stage design and orchestral score.

Some of the most iconic movies of all time require your full attention. One of my favorite directors of all time is Alfred Hitchcock. Because of his films I’ve always felt that I was part of the mystery. Movies like "Rear Window" captured my heart because it obliged my brain. Solving a crime while sitting on the edge of my seat with a mouth full of popcorn is my idea of a perfect movie experience.

I always turn my eyes' gaze towards my TV during award season for shows like The Oscars and The Golden Globes. Somehow I pay attention to the movies that are given so many awards, even though I haven't seen them and probably won't ever see due to their limited availability. But for the most part, they tell original stories, as producers, designers, and directors are praised for telling these never-told narratives.

As someone who wants to tell stories with her career, I admire the way movies have the power to share tales of drama, comedy, thriller, heartbreak, and heroism. I appreciate the way that they connect to the idea of what it means to be human and the emotions that connect us all. However, I hope that the next generation of movie writers use some originality in their craft.

To the future movie makers, don't be afraid to tell a story that hasn't been told, because the best movies of all time are the ones that are unique in their ability to express things we are not capable of.