Why "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" Was The Movie Harry Potter Fans Needed This Year

Warning: Spoilers ahead, because as anyone who has seen the movie knows, there is A LOT to talk about.

31

Growing up, as any Potterhead of the 21st century will admit, Hogwarts was my home. From pouring through the books in elementary school, to waiting at movie theaters for the release of the films, it's safe to say I was a full-on fanatic. Yes I was Ginny Weasley for Halloween one year, yes I had my own Gryffindor robe, and yes, I created a Pottermore account, because let's be real, we all wanted to know what our house and patronus was.

When the first "Fantastic Beasts" movie was released in 2016, I, like many others, couldn't wait to return to the Wizarding World, even if it was set in a different country this time. The sequel in what is said to be a series of five films was released November 16, 2018, and after seeing it, I can say it's what we've all been hoping for.

In the film, we find out the shocking identity of Credence, finally meet Leta Lestrange, and are introduced to a young Nagini, among many other surprises. Newt's adventures are no less entertaining than the last film, and I think we were all pleased to see the return of the bowtruckle and the nifflers. The sets were just as extravagant and magical, with more than a few scenes at the beloved School of Witchcraft and Wizardry itself. The return of treasured "Harry Potter" characters such as Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall, with an appearance by Nicolas Flamel, as well as a passing mention of McLaggen - most likely an ancestor of the striking young man who fancied Hermione in the sixth book of the "Harry Potter" series - make the second film in the five movie series seem evermore familiar.

Even though the movie evokes nostalgia of the "Harry Potter" series, it is still as much a developed story within itself. The plot keeps the audience on the edge of their seat, with a cliffhanger for the ending. We see witches and wizards decide to join Grindelwald after an intense rally and battle between the dark wizard himself and aurors. The very last scene includes Newt going to Dumbledore at Hogwarts and Grindelwald revealing to Credence his identity as a Dumbledore. This leads the audience to develop an excitement for the next upcoming films, where a battle between Grindelwald's followers and those opposed is bound to happen.

Overall, "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" was a film filled with action, humor, incredible sets, extraordinary characters, and of course, magic. As a "Harry Potter" fan, this series fulfills all my dreams of being able to go back to Hogwarts, and to see more of the beloved Wizarding World. All I can say is, hopefully, we won't have to wait too long for the next one.