An Open Apology Letter To Mother Nature For Destroying The Earth

You've provided so much for us, and all we've given in return is a big fat middle finger.

99

Dear Mother Nature,

Thank you for rolling jade hills and deep sapphire oceans. Thank you for the sun that keeps us warm in the daytime and for the moon that lights our way in the nighttime. For daily sunsets streaked with purple, pink, and orange. For the lush fruits, vegetables, and grains that fuel and nourish our bodies. For blessing us with natural wonders like Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, and the Great Barrier Reef.

Thank you for trusting us with the land you created…and I'm so sorry we're letting you down.

I'm sorry that you provided a plethora of beautiful, natural phenomena that work in harmony to keep us alive and that in return, we gave you a big fat middle finger. Day by day, minute by minute, we litter the ground and the oceans with garbage and drill into the ground with thousands of chemicals.

We kill other animals for sport to the point of extinction. We uproot the Earth's resources at a rate so alarming, you can barely keep up. We're gradually destroying the ozone layer, which you made to protect us, for the sake of burgers and Lexus.

You've created a wondrous, prosperous planet just for us to come along and tear it apart piece by piece.

You're attempting to give us warning signs: dramatic weather and climate changes, rising water levels, and intense natural disasters. We see them and fully understand our role in the matter, but we haven't done enough thus far to combat our wrongdoings. I know it feels horrible to be ignored, and I'm sorry we're ignoring your pleas for help.

My stomach drops when I think about how future generations won't be able to enjoy the everyday beauties of the world as we do. How people's homes and lives are destroyed yearly, by the thousands, as a result of increasingly devastating natural disasters. How entire species have been wiped out due to our selfishness. As I take in the majesty of what is left of our world, this is my plea for my fellow men and women to treat it better and make you proud.

Sincerely,

Someone Who Cares