Most jointed states in America
News

The 10 Most Haunted States in America to Visit This Halloween

Some states are just spooky

1387

With Halloween season upon us, many people like to visit haunted states in America to get into the spirit of the holiday or perhaps just to get scared out of their wits. These 10 states are known for having some pretty creepy and terrifying tales behind them, so you may want to think twice about going there alone at night if you're easily scared!

1. Virginia

Ranked number 10 by the Forbes, Virginia is one of the most haunted states in America. The scenic beauty of Virginia's woods is perfect for this spooky season. If you want to find some fun Halloween scares and stay close to home, try exploring a spooky spot such as Colonial Williamsburg's State House. Here, you'll find captivating ghosts and scary spirits who are eager to give you a fright on Halloween night. A haunted state house like George Wythe House is worth visiting because they have what's known as haunted attractions. These attractions often use props, elaborate costumes, makeup effects, sound effects, and staged scenes to scare visitors.

2. New York

New York is home to some of the most haunted houses and Halloween scares, but this is geared by Headless Horseman looking for his head roamed in Hudson Valley. You find ghosts or other strange things and voices that can be heard in Manhattan. If you want to visit a haunted state hotel, then Lake George's Sagamore hotel is a Halloween scare vacation spot that even kids are not allowed.

3. Oklahoma

With Big Foot sightings, haunted military forts, and a demon called Zozo being said to inhabit the state of Oklahoma, there is a lot of evidence that something is lurking. You might want to take caution while exploring this state during your next vacation. Haunted state houses, including the Stone Lion Inn and Blue Bell Grove, can be found throughout the entire state. The Skirvin Hilton Hotel is also a haunted hotel that scares visitors and guests.

4. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania is a great haunted state for children. Pennsylvania has a long history of paranormal activity, dating back to the witch trials of the 1800s. One of the most popular haunted houses is Eastern State Penitentiary, which was once home to Al Capone and can be found on Philadelphia's Fairmount Waterfront. The Penitentiary still stands today and offers self-guided tours for visitors with an interest in ghosts. Other spooky spots include the Gettysburg Hotel, which is rumored to be the site where General George Meade ordered the famous Union Army to retreat following their devastating loss during the Battle of Gettysburg. Guests who spend time at this historic hotel have reported sightings of ghosts roaming through hallways and even sitting in vacant chairs by windows.

5. Indiana

This state is popularly known for basketball, corn, and hauntings. If you're scared of ghosts, you must avoid Indiana University in Bloomington, where you'll hear babies crying and lots of other paranormal activities happening. One of the most haunted houses in Indiana is called French Lick Springs Hotel, where golf courses, Spas, and ghosts are all there waiting for you. As if that's not enough, the resort's home has a tragic past that includes a gruesome murder. So don't be surprised if there's an apparition wandering around the building at night.

6. Illinois

Known as the Heart of America, Illinois is filled with haunted houses, eerie graveyards, and spine-chilling stories of true ghost sightings. Many unexplained phenomena and strange things make Illinois the fifth most haunted state in America. Also, the Bloods Point Cemetery is a well-known haunted site where many tourists have spotted ghosts. The dead will rise up from their graves at this cemetery on October 30th each year for an annual ritual known by locals as Cemetery Night. These ghouls are said to be searching for souls that were left behind or hiding out before they were brought into the afterlife.

7. Michigan

The Michigan Central Station has several haunted lighthouses and is said to be a hotbed for paranormal activity. Some hotels offer nightly ghostly guests, the most popular being Mackinac Island's Grand hotel. Visitors may want to visit during the winter season when they're less busy and in October when they offer special Halloween events like Happy Hour Fridays, lectures on famous hauntings, sauternes, and more. With creepy tales of ghostly sightings and enough haunted houses to keep you up at night, Michigan is a state you won't soon forget.

8. Ohio

The third most haunted state is Ohio, which has an average of one reported haunting for every eight square miles. In Twin City Opera House, there have been sightings of a young woman who died during the theatre's construction, and there have also been reports of ghosts in the theater during performances. In Ohio State Reformatory, reports include hearing voices that lead you down certain hallways, seeing apparitions through foggy windows, and hearing children laughing and playing outside your cell when it's deserted.

9. California

California is one of the most haunted states in America. There are plenty of haunted houses and ghost tours, but if you're looking for a more up-close and personal experience, try visiting some of the locations where famous murders took place. California is also a home for supernatural and superstar occurrences; therefore, it's called a hotbed for paranormal activity. The ghosts here have been known to cause strange goings-on in old hotels, restaurants, and theaters.

10. Texas

The first and most haunted state is Texas. It is one of the scariest places you can visit this Halloween because of the many historical sites that are still active. You might find yourself coming across a small cabin or a plantation house from the 1800s with creaking floorboards. You might also come across a cemetery, even though they are banned there. In fact, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is home to most haunted houses, and it has some of the most terrifying characters from all over America. Marfa Lights, also known as Ghost lights that, have been seen for decades. People have talked about these lights for centuries because no one knows what they are. However, some people say that these lights represent the souls of Native Americans killed during battles between the Apache and Comanche tribes.

Conclusion

Haunted houses have always been an essential part of Halloween, and they're not slowing down anytime soon. You can celebrate this time of year in many different ways, from the traditional trick or treating, going out on the town, and dressing up like your favorite character. So don't be afraid of these places! They may give you a good scare, but it's worth it.