A Morning Ride On The Newton Bus

A Morning Ride On The Newton Bus

As told by a sophomore who lived on upper.

17
A Morning Ride On The Newton Bus

Bright and early last Friday morning, I headed over to Newton campus around 8:30 a.m. to help out at Model UN’s BC day. It was a small conference and the first of its kind for high school students in the Boston area. For the past few months I had been volunteering after class at ACC in Brighton, starting up the school’s first Model UN team. Today was the day they would get their first taste of a conference and put everything they’d learned to use. With my 10 a.m. Italian class on my mind though, I scooted out early, promising to be back that afternoon, and headed toward the Stuart bus stop.

I felt the need to give some background as to why I was taking the Newton bus to campus early in the morning, mainly so my readers don’t assume I had spent some sort of desperate overnight in the dorm of a Newton freshman boy, but this is actually an article about the interesting experience I had on the bus back to campus. From the eyes of an outsider, I observed and took note of the students, the bus and the driver. I will now take you step-by-step through my experience.

The time is about 9:40 a.m. and I arrive at the stop just as a bus is pulling up. Finding an open seat with the bus only half full, I sit down and put my backpack on the seat next to me, which I will soon learn is a rookie mistake. Rather than pull away as soon as everyone in sight has loaded onto the bus, the driver waits for close to 10 more minutes. In that time frame, my backpack moves onto the floor in front of me and my arms have become too squished even to reach into my Dunkin' Donuts bag to eat my pumpkin muffin — a tragedy in itself. When the bus finally does pull away, it does so to the dismay of about five freshmen who had arrived too late to the stop and could not safely fit onto the bus. “Aw I think she’s in my calc class,” says a girl standing near me as the bus pulls away from a distraught-looking girl who had run to catch the bus, only to find it full to capacity. This poor girl would now be late to class and all for being about one minute too late to the stop. Here it was: a greater tragedy than my inability to eat my delicious muffin. The look on those five faces said it all — the Newton life could be a harsh one.

This all sounds pretty negative, but there were some clear positives to life on Newton campus that I discovered for myself on that bus. I’m not sure quite why this feeling was so tangible on the Newton bus, but I felt very clearly like an outsider there. Everyone around me seemed to know one another to some capacity. As they talked, sipped coffees, listened to music and awaited our arrival to campus, going about their normal routines, I kept finding myself thinking things like, “Do they know I don’t live on Newton?” or “Can they tell I don’t belong here?” Take it from me — that Newton sense of community that everyone talks about really is a thing.

When the time came to exit the bus, the driver wished every student a nice day and most of the students thanked him, calling him by his first name. Even the bus driver was an integral part of this community. Reflecting on that short trip back to main campus, I couldn’t help but feel like Boston College had this other world that I had somehow missed out on, or perhaps that I just never took the time to understand or merely notice. I was glad for having taken that bus ride, because I gained a better understanding of the Newton struggle that is that crowded bus, but I also got a window into a pretty cool, close-knit community at BC that I could never have appreciated otherwise.