More Than A Vote

More Than A Vote

Digging Into the True Essence of Civic Engagement and Public Service

30
More Than A Vote
https://www.nbcnews.com/

Let me tell you about volunteering on campaigns…

In the world of local politics, there are three people you must consider when wanting to make a change in your community. There are individuals that are the face of the cities and towns. These would be the mayors, council members and more; but also include official candidates that you see on the commercials, and the people running for office. Then there are the heads of offices, which will also include chiefs of staff, campaign manager/ director, and outreach personnel. But probably the most important job of all is the canvassing individuals and volunteers. These individuals are the front-line of a campaign and when paired well with a sounding vision and a clear and concise strategy, it could very well mean the difference between a failed election, and a last minute push to ensure success. As I always say: expanding your knowledge and self-worth teaches you how to elevate the people around you. So with that being said ask yourself this question: what steps have you taken to improve yourself in your own field?

We can all agree that the true art of campaigning creates change for the community. People who work for a campaign has the power to influence, take charge, and alter the future. I love to help with campaigns myself because it tackles the root of the everyday problems that people face, and attempt to fix those problems through changes in legislation. They bring to light the problems that we as citizens always want solved, giving the right people an opportunity to take a stand and find the solution. The best part about campaigns is that anyone can do it. If you have a vision and a purpose to make a change within your community that will affect growth and not stagnate your current situation; then you my friend are the perfect one for the job. It takes a committed and dedicated individual that understands the duty of public service.

There are plenty of things to love about campaigns. They bring excitement, suspense, and joy to the individuals that you connect with on a daily basis. Trust me when I say that the relationships with the most impact are formed through talking and interacting with neighbors and close friends within the community. Through those interactions, life becomes a tale of hardships, setbacks, and comebacks. You can see the pain and joy in people’s faces as their stories depict the love for the hometown they live in. But sometimes, it’s more than just supporting your local candidate. Sometimes, it’s more than just going out to vote. Sometimes, it’s just about making yourself a part of your community and providing others with better options in life.

Probably the most intriguing part of servicing the public is that it gives you independence in yourself and it pushes you towards establishing your career. From my personal encounters with people who have influences on cities and neighborhoods, I have learned a great deal from them. They have taught me to have tough skin, show compassion, and to always let your actions speak for the betterment of society. However, through their teachings I have learned that they are human beings just like us; each having a different purpose that they would like to fulfill in this world. Sure you may come across people that are in it for the money, but it’s always that one individual that puts in the voluntary work behind the scenes that might not get much recognition; but is always the most appreciated.

My message to you is this… go outside and explore your backyard, get involved within your community, and most of all be the change you want others to follow.