Michelle Obama is Much More Than Just A First Lady

Michelle Obama makes sure to give parenting her 120 percent.

23
Pixabay.com

“I love our daughters more than anything in the world ― more than life itself. And while that may not be the first thing that some folks want to hear from an Ivy-league-educated lawyer, it is truly who I am. So for me, being Mom-in-Chief is, and always will be, job number one.”

-- Michelle Obama

FLOTUS, Ivy league lawyer, spokeswoman.

You can call Michelle Obama all of these things and much more. With her Let Girls Learn, Joining Force, Let's Move! and Reach Higher initiatives, Obama has proven to be an exceptional First Lady -- something we can all agree on regardless of what our political preference is.

She has shown how much she cares about the well-being of the people during the eight years of her husband's presidency.

Another aspect where Obama strives for perfection is her title as a mother. She says she doesn't want to give it 100 percent; Obama wants to give parenting 120 percent.

Here are four instances in which Obama shows she is just as good a mother as she is First Lady.

1. Her kids have a strict bedtime.

Obama's two daughters, Malia and Sasha, were in bed by 8 o'clock every night when they were younger. Getting her girls to bed early meant being well rested and ready the next morning. "One night I was going out, I had to do a fund-raiser, and I told Malia, 'You guys really need to have an early bedtime because you’ve got to get up tomorrow and have a busy day.' So my mom was there, and my mom doesn’t adhere to bedtime. She’s kinda, 'Well, maybe you wanna start taking your bath…' But that night, she said she sat down to watch TV with them and they both got up, turned off the TV and left. And my mom was like, 'Where are you going?' And they said, 'We have got to go to bed early today, Grandma.' And they went downstairs, took their baths and went to bed, and my mom was just stunned," Obama told People Magazine.

2. Her kids adhere to a strict diet

The girls aren't allowed to pick up the phone and order food. Obama also doesn't allow the girls to go to the fridge and get whatever they want, whenever they want, without asking their mother first.

3. Her kids have a set television time

Obama wants to make sure her kids aren't exposed to anything inappropriate and to make sure they aren't glued to a television or computer screen all day. The girls are only allowed to watch television or use the computer for school-related purposes during the week. During the weekends, the girls still have a set time limit for television and computer use.

4. Her kids CANNOT act entitled or spoiled

Obama has made sure that, just because their dad is the President, doesn't mean the girls can act spoiled or entitled to anything. Obama has made sure that the staff knows not to make the girls beds in the mornings and make sure the girls do their household chores. "It took a second. At first [the staff] were like, 'Are you sure?' But if these girls don't learn how to make a bed or clean a room, what are they going to do when they go to college? It can't be foreign to them to be part of a working household," Obama told Oprah in an interview for O Magazine.