Democrats have gained control of the House. Youth voting increased significantly in certain states.

The first Muslim women are elected to Congress

In all of our country's history, we have never had any Muslim women in Congress. On November 6th, we got two: Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar. Tlaib was elected in Michigan and Omar was elected in Minnesota.

Rashida Tlaib is a 42-year-old Democrat from Detroit, Michigan. She attended Wayne State University and Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School. In addition to being a politician, she is an attorney. She will now represent Michigan's 13th congressional district.

Ilhan Omar is a 36-year-old Democrat from Somalia, Raas Cabaad. She has been the Minnesota State Representative since 2017. She will now represent Minnesota's 5th congressional district.

The first Native American woman is elected to Congress

Deb Haaland is a 57-year-old Democrat from Winslow, Arizona. She attended the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque and will now represent New Mexico's 1st congressional district. She is the very first Native American woman to serve in our Congress.

Massachusetts elects their first black Congresswoman

Ayanna Pressley, 44, is a Democrat from Chicago, Illinois. She graduated from Boston University and previously served Massachusetts as a district representative for Joseph P. Kennedy II and a political director for John Kerry. She is currently a member of the Boston City Council and is now the very first black Congresswoman to serve Massachusetts.

The first openly gay Native American is elected to Congress

Sharice Davids, 38, is a Democrat from the Ho-Chunk nation. She attended the University of Missouri - Kansas City and Cornell Law School. She was previously an MMA fighter and an attorney. She is the first openly gay person representing Kansas on a federal level. Just like Deb Haaland, she is one of the first Native American women in Congress as well. Davids will now represent Kansas's 3rd congressional district.

The first openly gay governor is elected 

Jared Polis, 43, is a Democrat from Boulder, Colorado. He is an entrepreneur, philanthropist and Princeton University graduate. He will now serve as governor of Colorado. Polis and his husband, Marlon Reis, have two children, Cora and Caspian. Polis is the first openly gay person to serve as a governor for any state.

The youngest woman is elected to Congress

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is only 29 years old. She is from The Bronx, New York City, New York, and graduated from Boston University in 2011. She is an educator and political activist and will now serve New York's 14th congressional district. She is the youngest woman ever elected to Congress.

A record number of women hold House seats

Women won 84 out of the 435 House seats, the most in history.

Tennessee elects its first female senator

Marsha Blackburn, 66, is a Republican from Laurel, Mississippi. She attended Mississippi State University and was previously a member of the Tennessee Senate from 1999-2003. While she might not hold the same beliefs that our other Democratic history makers do, it is still a big deal that she is the first female senator to ever get elected in Tennessee.

Connecticut elects their first black Congresswoman 

Jahana Hayes, 45, is a Democrat from Waterbury, Connecticut. She is a teacher and has been recognized as teacher of the year both statewide and nationally. She earned degrees from Southern Connecticut State University, the University of Saint Joseph, and the University of Bridgeport. She will now serve Connecticut as their first black Congresswoman.

New Hampshire elects their first openly gay Congressman

Chris Pappas, 38, is a Democrat from Manchester, New Hampshire. He attended Harvard University and has represented a total of nineteen municipalities of District 4 on the New Hampshire Executive Council. He is the first openly gay person to be elected to Congress by New Hampshire.

Arizona elects its first female senator

Both the Democratic and Republican nominees for Arizona's senate were women. Martha McSally, the Republican nominee, pulled out on top. She is 52, from Providence, Rhode Island. She studied at the United States Air Force Academy, served in the Air Force as an officer, and retired in 2010 at the rank of colonel. She also earned a master's degree from Harvard University. She was previously a Congresswoman for Arizona's 2nd congressional district but now serves as their very first female senator.

Texas sends their first Hispanic women to Congress

Veronica Escobar, 49, is a Democrat from El Paso, Texas. She graduated from the University of Texas, El Paso, and earned a master's degree from New York University. She previously served El Paso as a County Commissioner and County Judge from 2010 to 2017.

Sylvia Garcia, 68, is a Democrat from Palito Blanco, Texas. She graduated from Texas Woman's University and earned her Juris Doctor from Texas Southern University. She previously served Houston as presiding judge of the Houston Municipal System and as Houston city controller.

Both Escobar and Garcia are the first Latina Congresswomen to ever be elected in Texas.

The first lesbian mom is elected to Congress

Angie Craig, 46, is a Democrat from Arkansas. She and her wife, Cheryl Greene, have 4 children. Craig attended the University of Memphis and has since worked in reporting and human resources. She now serves Minnesota's 2nd congressional district and is the first lesbian mother to serve in Congress, and the first gay woman elected to Congress in Minnesota.

South Dakota elects its first female governor

Kristi Noem, 46, is a Republican from Watertown, South Dakota. She graduated from South Dakota State University. She was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from the 6th district from 2007 to 2011 and is currently serving South Dakota's at-large district in the same position. She is the first ever female governor to be elected in South Dakota.

While Andrew Gillum didn't become Florida's first black governor, Christine Hallquist didn't become the first transgender governor, Beto O'Rourke didn't take home the Texas Senate seat (Beto for Prez 2020), and Stacey Abrams didn't become Georgia's first black female governor, we still made major leaps and bounds in the right direction for change.