The Moments Often Overlooked

The Moments Often Overlooked

Take Some TIme To Smell The Flowers

83
The Moments Often Overlooked
Myah Zerkle

Often in life, we get concerned with the big moments like weddings and holidays and graduation. It’s either that or we become focused on all the problems going on. As cliché as it sounds, there is so much more to life and so much in the little moments for us to spend it wishing our present away. There is so much that can be gained by doing small tasks for others to lessen their load by taking a minute to slow life down and just observe for a moment, or by stopping to smell the flowers.

Pay attention to the moments that you often overlook.

Remember that time you were in your room with your best friend, having a movie night and binging popcorn and pop. Remember that awful line they use in the movie, leading to one of you making fun of it then both of you laughing. Remember how you joked and laughed for so long about nothing in particular. Remember how your sides ached and tears ran down your face in the best of ways. A really good laugh is the medicine for the times that you feel like you can’t even smile, so remember how it felt to feel that joy to your core.

Remember that time you were driving along with your significant other. You’re fairly new in the relationship, just enjoying getting to know each other and spend time with one another. They have the aux cord, so you’re just relaxing in the passenger seat, ready for them to play their favorite indie album for the fifth time. Instead, you hear the words of your favorite rap album playing over the speakers. To surprise you even more, they’re singing every word. Just the other day you caught them using your lingo, and now, they know the words to your favorite songs. They took the time to listen because they want to like what you do, and what’s even more, they actually DO like it.

Remember that night in high school when you were out with your buddies. One of your friends suggests you all go to that so-called haunted bridge in the area. Somehow, she gets all of you convinced to go, despite the ridiculously scary rumors surrounding the area. On the way, she convinces you to get on the hood of the car, and again, somehow you end up on the hood of the car as she drives down a back road. You feel a rush of adrenaline, scared out of your mind but still on top of the world.

You arrive at the bridge, one of your friends screaming in fear, another blaring music and singing as loud as she can, another trying to get both of them to shut up and get out on the bridge. The doors are eventually opened with the system up as loud as it can go, a photo shoot ensues, and soon a car is coming. Again, the adrenaline is up, and you’re living as far as you can go on the edge with the best friends you can ask for. The rebellious side of you is thrilled.

Remember the first day of spring. There’s a familiar smell in the air. Your first game of the season is today. You’re going for league honors, and today is the day it all begins. Your nerves are up, but you’re undeniably excited. Remember that first at-bat, that first pitch, that first swing, that first hit. Nothing feels and sounds better than an excellent line drive in the gap. You take off. Remember the feeling of victory. Now, remember that 3-2 count, tying run on third and winning run on second. Their pitch, your swing, and it’s a home run. Remember the feeling.

Remember that summer night. The windows are down, the music is playing softly. The breeze is just right. You feel right at peace. You get home, climb out on your roof with your best friend, and stare at the perfectly clear night. You’re both thinking out loud, talking completely without a filter. Your deepest thoughts are spilling, and they actually relate to what you’re saying. There’s someone that thinks the same way as you, who understands you deeper than you realized. There’s a beautiful night in front of both of you. There is nothing to do but admire them both.

Remember that day you were relaxing in your room alone. You’re just listening to music and scrolling through Twitter mindlessly. You hear a knock, and your sister comes in for no reason at all other than wanting to talk. You sit up, happy to have the company. After some time your brother comes in, then the rest of your siblings, then your mom. You’re all relaxing in your room, simply enjoying the conversation and the company. For some reason, you’re struck in that instance exactly on how much you care about everyone there, and although you all can get on each others’ nerves, it’s in the best of ways.

Always remember the little moments.

Actually, do better. Don’t just remember the little moments that everyone takes for granted, like sunsets and coffee dates and a good grade on a test you studied hard for. Do more. Don’t just remember that person who went out of the way to give you a compliment, make something easier on you, clean something up for you. Thank people. Tell them how you feel. Enjoy the moments as they’re happening.

Make the most of opportunities, apologize when you’ve hurt someone, strive to be better each day. There is so much more to life than consistent worries or the big moments that everyone has. Time goes fast, so enjoy the moments special to you. Cherish them. Keep them close.

Notice them.