The Moments Of The Rio Olympics That Will Make You Cry

You weren't exactly sure why you were tearing up for athletes you've never met—but there you were, with a box of tissues.

13
For The Win

For the past week, many have found themselves glued to prime-time television in a new way. NBC has tape delayed many of the major moments of the Olympics so far so that the most Americans can watch our team compete. As a nation this week, we have witnessed major victories and heartbreaking defeats. And if you were anything like me, you found yourself feeling pretty emotional. Here's this week's wrap-up of Olympic moments that made the world cry.

Micheal Phelps and Anything Involving His Baby, Boomer.

Michael Phelps is the world's most decorated swimmer, and Olympian. Having earned four gold and one silver medal in Rio, he's had plenty of reasons to celebrate with his five month old son, Boomer. After every podium exit (except after the 200 IM because Phelps had to get back to the ready room to prepare for his next race,) Phelps has found his family, including mother Debbie and fiancee Nicole and embraced them each. Seeing one of the world's most famous athlete go from a fierce competitor to being a loving dad on the sidelines is definitely a tearjerker.

The Women's Gymnastics Team Dominating the Team Competition

The self proclaimed "Final Five," dominated the team gymnastics competition. Watching Aly and Gabby earn their second medals and Laurie, Madison, and Simone earn their first was priceless. Their excitement and happiness was nearly impossible to not feel in your living room and the raw emotions of the girls is heart wrenching (in a good way!)

Simone Biles Finally Earning Her Olympic Medal

3-Time World Champion Simone Biles has proven that she could do it all, but there was one hurdle to cross over, and Olympic gold medal. In 2012, Biles was not yet old enough to compete for a spot on the Olympic team, so she stayed home and watched London with her parents. This year, she dominated at the American championships, and went on to win the Olympic All-Around Competition by a larger margin than each all All-Around Champion since 1988 COMBINED.

Aly Raisman's Redemption

Aly qualified for the 2012 All-Around final in London, and tied for third place. But, due to a tie-breaking measure was given fourth place and missed the medal stand to Russia's Aliya Mustafina. After taking time off from gymnastics, she decided to continue to pursue a Rio berth, and was selected as one of the 5-woman team. After winning her second team competition, Aly found herself on the podium next to her teammate, Biles with Mustafina with the bronze. Watching Aly's happy tears definitely brought some to my eyes.

Simone Manuel's record breaking performance.

Simone Manuel competed in the 100M Freestyle on Thursday, and not only won gold, but set the Olympic record. She tied for first with a Canadian athlete, but it didn't take away from the glory of her moment. Simone became the first black woman to win an individual gold medal in swimming. She was overcome with excitement and happiness before she even left the water. She bawled on the podium while the National Anthem played. We bawled with her.

Joesph Schooling and Singapore's historic swim.

Friday night, against a strong field, including three-time gold medalist Michael Phelps, in the 100M, Joesph Schooling fought the odds to become the new gold medalist. Schooling, a 21 year old student at the University of Texas at Austin became the country of Singapore's first gold medalist. How could we not cry happy tears for a first time gold medalist?