10 Things My Mom Did That I Never Realized Were So Important

Like buying the expensive razors.
36

Your mom...also known as your best friend if you're lucky. And I am. I am so incredibly lucky to have that woman in my life and I would not have survived without her (cliche, but true). She is everything I need and more and I wouldn't want to call anyone else at least twice a day (I'm dead serious) to talk.

And its amazing I made it this far into my college career without realizing some of these, but here are the things my mom did for me that I never realized were so important.

1. Making me peanut butter and jelly every single day

She never failed to make my lunch for me and if I forgot it, she would drop it off at school. And every single day, there was the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Its a classic, I know. But it feels like home. And now when I have to make it on my own for my lunch, I think of her.

2. Buying the expensive razors

Because it makes a difference. I tried buying one of those packs of razors for cheap, since I am a broke college student and all, and it went awfully. I had cuts all over my legs and threw them all away shortly after that. Since then, I've bought the nice razors my mom suggested and its been grand.

3. Washing my bed sheets

I guess washing my bed sheets is not something I thought I would really ever have to do. And then I came to college and realized that it is. That woman used to switch my sheets to flannel in the winter for the best cuddly bed, and I'm stuck with just one set of sheets that if I don't finish washing during the day, I'll be sleeping on my mattress only at night.

4. Setting up doctors appointments

I've been to the doctors more times than I can count this semester for a number of things, but the hardest part is setting up the appointments and figuring out the payment and my insurance plan. Before this, she handled it all and even scheduled appointments for the future. I was supposed to go back last week but that didn't happen...

5. Knowing how to cook a potato in the microwave

I hadn't ever cooked a potato before, but I've really tried to cook a lot of my own meals this semester and figured it was easy enough. Little did I know, you can put one in the microwave and it tastes pretty darn good. Thanks mom, I've had a couple potatoes this semester.

6. Stocking up on everything

Before I leave for school we stock up on everything--school supplies, bathroom essentials, kitchen tools. She knows me so well that I haven't had to run out for soap, toilet paper, body wash, or face wash the entire year. She has saved me so much money and time, and the only thing I've had to pay for is new shampoo and conditioner. She is so great.

7. Making lists

She would make lists of all the stuff I needed to get done to meet college deadlines, or what vaccines I needed for school. And now I'm stuck here trying to do it all by myself and its hard.

8. Having extra headphones in her purse

How many times did I forget mine for long car rides? But here was Super Mom, pulling an extra pair out of her purse to make me happy. Or gum. Or hairbands. Or chapstick. Now, I forget one of those every day.

9. Organizing my jewelry

If I had a nickel for every time I tried to untangle my necklaces from each other, I'd be a millionaire. She always made sure my jewelry was in its respective place at home where no tangling or misplacing jewelry ever occurred. I need to organize again.

10. Knowing birthdays

Is it bad that I have to rely on Facebook now to know when someones birthday is? Or anniversary? She was always on top of it and would let me know so I could wish them a good day.

All of these little big things make me love and appreciate her so much more when I'm away. And of course the big things she does as well when I'm gone. She deserves the best Mother's Day because she is the best mother, and I wouldn't be the young woman I am today without her there the whole time.