5 Mistakes Too Many Gym-Goers Make

5 Mistakes Too Many Gym-Goers Make

It's all about the right mindset.

542
5 Mistakes Too Many Gym-Goers Make
Leeroy

Before I begin, allow me to preface this by clarifying that this is not your typical “people at the gym” article. I am an avid gym-goer, and I the last thing I want to do is discourage others by producing yet another article that makes jokes about people at the gym. I am not here to judge.

With that being said, here are the top five mistakes I have seen many gym-goers make:

1. Making your physical appearance, and how others perceive it, your top priority.

Stop and reflect on your reasons for hitting the gym today. When you are preparing for a good gym session, but you’re being motivated by anything but your own personal well-being, the gym will not give you the satisfaction you are seeking.

Regular exercise should be one piece of your pursuit to better your health for the long-run, whether physically, mentally, or both. I encourage everyone to take a moment to find a reason that reflects personal growth, rather than a social image alone.

Do not be mistaken; I am not insinuating that wanting to look good as a result of your hard work is shallow, nor am I saying that it shouldn’t reflect in any of your goals regarding your exercise routine. Rather, don’t get in the mindset that you’ll only be satisfied once you look like your fitness idol from Instagram, for example. Instead, use him or her as a source of knowledge and inspiration that simply propels you closer to your own personal, long-term goals.

Revert your focus to your own long-term betterment. Not only will you be happier and healthier, but the short-term goals will present themselves before you know it.

2. Worrying about what other people think.

The people going to the gym for the right reasons are too focused on themselves and their workout to be worried about what you are doing. And if someone is taking the time to sit back and judge your workout, their inability to focus on their own business is a problem of theirs, not a problem you should waste your time worrying about. As George R.R. Martin said himself, “the lion doesn’t concern itself with the opinion of sheep.”

3. Not asking for help.

Too many people are too either too intimidated or too prideful to simply ask for help when it comes to the unknown. There is no weakness in trying to learn something new. If the idea of free weights, assisted machines, cardio machines, medicine balls, etc. intimidates you, turn to your resources and learn as much as possible.

Whether you ask an employee at the gym, a friend with gym experience, or even simply Google itself, you will feel more confident and empowered when going to the gym with your newfound knowledge. This leads me to my next point.

4. Choosing weight over form.

When pride and concern for others’ opinions cloud one’s focus, typically caution gets thrown to the wind. I’ll be getting my best workout in if I lift the heaviest weight possible, right? Wrong. So, so wrong. Back to my previous point: you are in the gym for you and no one else.

You do not have to prove to the man or woman next to you that you can pump more iron than them. Because the reality is, if you are not lifting with correct form, you are doing your body a disservice. Irresponsibility with weights and machines can lead to many long-term problems that can easily be avoided by learning how to use correct form.

Save yourself from future injury, and see the best results, by taking the time to learn how to properly lift weights and use the machines at the gym.

5. Not trying something new.

A lot of gym newbies will go in with the mindset that cardio, or weight lifting, or Zumba, or whatever else is the end-all-be-all form of exercise. Some people get lucky and love the first thing they try.

Most people are not quite as fortunate. Having this kind of tunnel vision can make going to the gym seem like a mundane chore. There is no one way to partake in physical exercise.

Tried cardio machines and hated it? Research how to weight lift or incorporate HIIT. Find that working out alone gives you no motivation? Find a workout partner. The routine you usually love is starting to get boring? Sign up for an instructor-led exercise class.

Or, maybe you would rather be outdoors. Go for a jog or walk in your local park. There is an option for everyone, it’s just a matter of being patient and trying new things until you find what you love to do.