Missing My Wisdom: So Long, Farewell To My Wisdom Teeth

13

As I write this, my jaws ache with pain, my cheeks are swollen past the point of chipmunk, and I am on my third bowl of instant mashed potatoes of the day. It's that time of year, folks. It's wisdom teeth season.

When many young adults return home from their year at college their dentist will give them an x-ray and tell them it's finally time to remove their wisdom teeth. Rejoice!

Here is a go-to guide for when your wisdom teeth are removed and how to make it through the pain.

Stock up on food beforehand.

Before your surgery, go out and get food you know you'll be able to eat post-removal of your wisdom. Think juices, mashed potatoes, yogurt, popsicles. Be warned: you will get tired of these foods fast, so try and switch it up every once in a while. Be original people! I'm talking grits, cheesecake, green smoothies and tofu. Shout out to my mom for her lifesaving matzoh ball soup.

Send those Snapchats, but know that they will be screenshotted.

You will wake up the second day after you've gotten your wisdom teeth out and realize you are a breed of chipmunk. Without a doubt, these will make for hilarious Snapchats that will entertain you and your closest friends. But beware of who you send these pictures to while you're pumped full of pain meds. Sorry group project member from my International Law class, these cheeks were not meant for you.

Plan activities you can do from your bed.

Netflix is always a great idea, but shockingly enough, you might get sick of it. Gasp! This girl must really be delusional from her Percocet. Just hear me out, folks. There are only so many "Criminal Minds" episodes you can binge-watch. Before your surgery, pick out a book you're interested in or a crossword puzzle or coloring book. These make the days shorter and keep you from losing your mind. Be mindful of online shopping and stalking foodstagrams of sushi and pizza.

Be happy to have visitors.

Getting your wisdom teeth out can lead to a fair amount of FOMO. All your friends get to hang out, eat whatever they want and stay out late while you are wondering if maybe your oral surgeon accidentally sewed your cheeks to your gums. That is why I'm so lucky to have friends who have brought me smoothies and have hung out with me while I complain about gapping holes in my mouth.

Think of all the food you get to eat when you finally heal.

This could be torture for some, so proceed at your own risk, but I enjoy looking forward to something and that makes it even more rewarding. I wouldn't be lying if I said my last Google searches are tacos, sushi and ribs. No judgement here, people.

Be extremely grateful for your parents.

They have potty trained us, taught us how to ride a bike, paid for our college tuition and now they take care of us when we bawl because of the pain we are feeling in our mouths. No, they are not gods—they are our parents. I'm pretty sure I've never whined more in my entire life and my parents just respond by bringing me pudding or popsicles. Maybe I take back what I said before, they are definitely gods.

Soon enough, the swelling with subside and your dreams of finally eating Doritos again will become a reality. For now, just try and soft smile through the pain.