Missing Husband: Short Story

Missing Husband: Short Story

Will she ever trust her ex again? Will she do everything in her power to save the love of her life?

14
Missing Husband: Short Story

"Where are you Tom?" you yell with tears on your cheeks. Your husband is not in bed with you. He is not in the kitchen or in the bathroom. You check the windows. From six stories high you notice his orange Lamborghini is still there. You start feeling worried. You had just woken up from your honeymoon. It is a beautiful sunny morning in California in a five-star hotel, The Beverly Hills and Tom is supposed to be there with you. He promised he wouldn't handle any business calls. You walk towards the kitchen where you step on broken glass. As you put your hand over the kitchen counter to hold yourself up, your hand slips. The counter is wet. There is a handprint with blood on the counter. You see the door handle looks normal. It doesn't seem as if someone broke in, but you see a little bit of blood on the handle.

Your detective skills kick in. You get dressed quickly and run down to the first floor towards the security department. You ask them to show you footage of the hallway where your room is located. There is a suspicious person with a card key entering your room at 1:55 a.m. At 2:15 a.m. the person comes out dragging your husband's body. Tom seems to be drugged as he tries to fight for his life. As the suspicious person struggles with Tom, the hoodie comes off. You can't believe your eyes. It's your ex-boyfriend from college. You don't understand how he could be doing this. You guys dated for only 2 years after college. "Is it really him? The same guy who asked me out to the formal your senior year.." The security guy tells you "Don't worry Ms. Smith, we will get the person who kidnapped your boyfriend." You cut him off "That is Mrs. Jones for your information and that is my husband." "Pardon, you guys seem very young to be married." "Well, that is because he proposed just a year ago when I was 25. I will take care of this. I don't want you calling the cops at all. Understood?" You show off your detective badge as you run back to your room.

You can't believe your honeymoon has now turned into a crime. So much for taking a couple of days off of work. You decide to text your ex., pretending everything's just fine. When in reality, you just want to kill his ass. Like "Why? Why now? Why me?" He doesn't seem to be answering your texts, so you call him. He finally picks up, "Hey, what's up? How's the honeymoon treating you?" Biting your tongue "So far, it's been the best. The hotel is amazing, the room is just great." "Oh, I'm glad you are having a blast. I am so happy for you guys.", he says. "Hey I'm just calling to see if you wanna hang out this afternoon with the others, like old times?" you ask. "Sure, where do you want to meet?" "In the cafe, in the hotel that I am staying at." " You mean The Beverly Hills.?" "Umm, yes. How did you..? "Ohh, your sister told me when we were talking the other day." "Ohh, I didn't know that guys were so close." "Yeah we just started talking, but don't worry we aren't dating." "Okay cool."As you hang up the call, you remember that your sister promised you that she wouldn't tell your ex. Now, he is definitely looking like your number one suspect.

You are trying to get the puzzle pieces together. "I should've listened to Tom, he said that he didn't want to be in the same state as my ex, you say as you tear up. It's only 2 in the afternoon, you still have a couple of hours until you meet up with your friends. You are just trying to understand why this is all happening. You start thinking if your other friends know about your husband's disappearance.

You go to the living room and turn on the tv. You leave it on News 12, as you answer the messages from your mother when you hear "This is the third female to be found dead in California. There is no suspect detained but one witness that saw the perpetrator." "Miss, please tell us what you saw that night." You drop your phone when the witness says "I was getting out of the bar around midnight. When I heard a lot of commotion in the alley. I went to hide quickly when I saw Jackie with another guy but it wasn't her boyfriend. I have known Jackie for some time now and I know she wouldn't cheat on her boyfriend. She had difficulty standing and kept falling when this guy with blonde hair about 6 '2, with a snake tattoo on his right wrist was all over her and said "You should've had me, not him. Am I not your type?" As he took a piece of rope and put it around her neck. I stayed hidden until he dragged her body near the park."

You are paralyzed. You were supposed to meet with Jackie this afternoon as well with your ex and other friends. Now, she is dead. "It's not possible that your ex is connected to this. There are so many blondes out there, but how many have the snake tattoo on their right wrist?" You ask yourself. You start remembering that he had gone to get a snake tattoo when you guys broke up. "Could it possibly be that my ex is killing these people? But why did he kidnap my husband and not me?" Five in the afternoon finally arrived and you went down to the cafe. You waited for 20 minutes but no one showed up. There was a guy with a hoodie who passed by and placed a note on the table. It read, "This isn't the way things should've gone. You were supposed to marry me, not Tom. You will feel the pain I felt when you broke up with me. Don't call the cops, or else he dies and your sister might get hurt."