A Happy Birthday Letter From The Aunt You Never See

I still am technically your aunt, right?

71

Dear darling girl,

You are five! Bless, you must be getting so big, smart and beautiful. I hope you are doing well and you are happy as you are beyond loved. Your family loves you and wants nothing but the best for you. I hope your birthday is as special as you are to me.

I am sure you're probably wondering why the great Aunt Meg hasn't been around often, or a year for that matter. While you are much too sweet and young to understand at this time, I will say and hope that one day it won't matter and we can carry on just as we always did.

I hope you know it's not by my choice that I no longer get to see your pretty face or hear your sweet funny voice. I have and will always love you more than you can possibly imagine, but this is something that I have no control over. I also need you to know that this was never your fault, you never did anything wrong and I am so terribly sorry that my actions negatively affected you.

In a perfect world I would be there for your birthday. I'd save you from getting butter smeared in your face by your grandmother, who is just cruel and thinks that's funny. We would settle for a tiny bit of frosting on the tip of your precious nose.

I would get you the worlds biggest jar of M&Ms and I would probably cry as you blow out your candles. Is it selfish of me to ask that this year you wish for me? Maybe then people would start to reconsider.

I'd spoil you rotten because that's the kind of aunt I am. You want new LulaRoe leggings? Okay! You want to go to Disney World? Let's go! You want Zaxby's for lunch to only eat the Zax Sauce leaving your chicken for the dogs? A girl after my own heart.

I'd let you play with my phone taking all the photos with the silly face filters you love so much. I'd beg you for hugs and kisses only to steal them while tickling you til you turn pink. It's a cold cycle, but I got tickled to death when I was little so now it's my turn to keep the spirit alive.

I know I'm not allowed to get you presents or send a card but I hope you really know that I would if I could. I really hope that this past year will be the only thing I miss in your life as it's killed me to not be a part of your life. I don't want to miss your first day of school, or when you ride a bike without training wheels.

I don't want to miss anything and yet I fear that I won't get to see you again until you're all grown up. By that time who knows what you will think of me. I don't want you to ever think that your Aunt Meg doesn't love you and I hope and pray that you never forget me. I love you and miss you always.