Misogyny Is NOT The Reason 'Charlie's Angels' Tanked

It's not just men that didn't want to see "Charlie's Angels," it's that no one wanted to see it.

115
YouTube

We have all heard about Elizabeth Banks' rant about the only reason that her movie "Charlie's Angels" failed is because men don't want to see women in lead roles. This is not true -- misogyny was not the reason. The main reason for it bombing at the box-office is because it just was not done well.

Elizabeth Banks had her own excuse as to why the movie failed. "[Men will] go and see a comic-book movie… because that's a male genre. So even though those are movies about women, they put them in the context of feeding the larger comic-book world. Yes, you're watching a Wonder Woman movie, but we're setting up three other characters or we're setting up Justice League."

The trailer that they ran was a big turn-off.

It didn't seem like it was well acted at all, and a lot of people had a problem with Kristen Stewart being cast in the movie. Most think she does not have great, if any, emotional range for most movies.

Banks is a good actress herself and has starred in movies like the "Hunger Games," and she has produced movies like "Pitch Perfect" that people have enjoyed. But one thing she failed to realize is that many movie fans are done with all these reboots that Hollywood is making. This has nothing to do with men not wanting to see a woman in a lead role.

Female fans even said that the reason they didn't go see it is that it looked bad. They were not interested in watching it, so her saying it was just men is completely false.

Her movie was not the only one to tank at the box-offices. "Hellboy", which was a man-centric movie staring "Stranger Things'" David Harbour, looked great from the trailers. The movie took $50 million to make but only made $21.8 million, and that is its worldwide gross.

"Terminator Dark Fate", which was written, directed and produced by men, plus had a man in a lead role also bombed at the box-office. So her excuse makes no sense because then these action movies staring men should have done well then.

So to say that is was because of men is completely absurd, and sexist on her part. "Charlie's Angels" had a $48 million budget and only made $8.6 million its opening weekend. Even some feminist reviewers were disappointed. This movie falls in line with feminist remakes like "Oceans 8" and "Ghostbusters".

Some people even said that they should remake "Charlie's Angels" with an all-male cast and have Charlie as a woman and that they should use the same script that Banks did, and see if anyone would go see it because men are in lead roles.

Just stop making remakes of movies no one wants to see! Try making something that is new, different and maybe a little original, and maybe people - male and female, will go see it.