5 Misconceptions About Online Learning

5 Misconceptions About Online Learning

No, I don't sit at home all day.

210
5 Misconceptions About Online Learning
Education Career Blog

Online learning has become more popular in recent years, and it is a controversial issue. Is online learning better, worse, or even comparable to traditional classroom learning? I take online classes full-time with Southern New Hampshire University, and I’ve learned a lot about online learning from experiencing it first-hand. Below are five misconceptions about online learning and what I’ve personally learned about each one.

1. Online Classes Are Cheap

Many people believe that online classes don’t cost much. This is not true. While online classes are cheaper than going to class at a college or university, they are usually not as cheap as people think. Community colleges may be around $300 for one class which isn’t too bad, but it isn’t much cheaper than going to a class at the college.

Universities are different. One class at SNHU is $1,000. Multiply that by 12 classes for one year, and it’s just over $12,000 with books. This is much cheaper than going to classes at SNHU because with room and board and other fees, it’s a lot more money.

2. You Aren’t Involved With The School

Taking online classes most likely means all you do is schoolwork, right? Actually…no. A majority of going to school online is doing schoolwork, but just as colleges have on campus, they also have honor societies and clubs online. You can interact and have discussions with others from your school in these clubs just as you would on campus.

I recently was invited to join the National Society of Leadership and Success and the International English Honor Society. Both societies give me scholarship, job, and publication opportunities as well as leadership advice and peers who are interested in similar things as me. I am NOT excluded from these opportunities just because I am an online student.

3. You're Only Taking One Or Two Classes

When some people hear “online classes,” they tend to think the person is only taking one or two classes instead of the normal full-time amount of an average of five. I think this is because people expect those who are busy taking care of their kids and working to go back to school by taking a few online classes at a time. However, you can take online classes full-time just as you would on campus.

With SNHU, one year is divided into six terms with full-time meaning two classes per term since the terms are condensed into eight weeks. This means I should complete 12 classes in one school year. So, although I’m only taking two classes per term, I’m still completing six classes for one semester which is comparable to the amount a campus student takes.

4. It's Easy, Or It's Hard

I’ve heard people say that they think online learning is probably easy, and then some say they think it would be hard. Honestly, it’s neither. It’s not easy because you need to be disciplined with determining when to do your schoolwork. Online learning gives me a lot of flexibility in when I choose to “go to school.” I simply have deadline for assignments. Other than that, I don’t need to be “in class” at any specific time. Procrastination is a huge option for online learners, so if you want this learning experience to be on the easier side, then you need to know how to manage your time.

If you can learn to manage your time, then online learning won’t really be hard for you. The only other aspect that might make it seem hard is if you have trouble learning without an instructor in front of you. Most of the learning involves reading and watching videos. If you can’t learn this way, then it might seem harder to you.

5. You're Antisocial

I think there are people out there who think students taking online classes don’t socialize as much as campus students. They think these students are antisocial and just stay at home all the time. Again, this thought is not true. At least not for most online students.

I do my schoolwork at home, but I don’t spend all my time at home, keeping to myself. I work a full-time job, socializing with customers; and I see my family and friends as often as I can. Being an online student doesn’t mean I don’t like connecting with others face-to-face.