Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall...

Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall...

24

Ladies of our generation have such a hard time with viewing themselves as worthy and not “worth-less.” I, too, know this constant feeling of not being good enough. But, I have seen through God’s constant love and encouragement of His Holy Spirit that I am enough. This is something I have struggled with starting when I was in middle school. I was reminded daily that I was the tallest girl in our grade and that every guy thought it was so weird. I used to think that it would always be that way and that I would never be accepted. But guess what? I am accepted, loved, and wanted by a heavenly Father that will never leave me. I never saw this reality until I was 17 years old. Wow! Do you think that is way too long for anyone to think she is not fearfully and wonderfully made? I definitely regret the years that I walked around with my head down and avoiding contact with anyone at all cost.

Social media has ruined our generation -- I constantly see girls posting photos on social media of them partying and wearing extremely revealing clothing. This is the way women try to find their value by the number of “likes” or comments from others. It is simply ludicrous to see the way women, young or old, find security in the way others see them through social media. Whether it be the “good lighting,” how “artsy” the picture is, or how much of an editing app they use, it is not truly who they are. I have found that none of these girls are truly happy through our passing conversations. The media constantly shoves being a size zero down our throats beginning when we are little girls watching Disney Channel!

We have to put aside others' opinions and show who we truly are -- do not be miserable in your own skin because of the opinions of others. It is so heartbreaking to see the way girls treat themselves to become the “perfect woman” for men by giving into the ways of the world. Turn to the Lord and let Him show you how He sees us. He says we were created in His image and that we are the apple of His eye, isn’t that so amazing?

If you are a girl struggling with this and feeling like you are not good enough, you must remember the words of the Lord. He says in 1 Peter 3:3-5, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful.” I feel like there are many girls of this generation that can learn from this verse and from the women of the Bible. We do not need to confide in what men think of us. We are fearfully and wonderfully made for a unique purpose. I pray for every girl that is currently reading this and that you would become comfortable in your own skin. Remind yourself daily, “I am enough for a man that will one day pursue me the way that the Lord has called him to.” You are beautiful!