19 Summer Roadie Destinations For The True Minnesotan

Which are you going to go on?

255
Instagram

After a blizzardy and cold winter here in Minnesota, summer is thankfully right around the corner. It is almost time to pack away those Sorel boots, North Face jackets, Love Your Melon beanies, and chopper mittens and break out the high waisted shorts and Birkenstocks (or Chacos if you prefer).

As you start to make your summer plans why not add a little roadie with friends to your calendar? Minnesota has so many fun road trip destinations from day trips to week stays. I guarantee you will find something perfect for you and your pals. Here is a list of 19 summer road trip destination ideas in Minnesota and a few in Wisconsin because well, sometimes you can't help but cross the border into the "cheese state."

1. Grand Marais, Minnesota-

Grand Marais lighthouse, harbor, and Artist Point. You will not be disappointed with the scenery in Grand Marais one bit. You can also head to their state parks, one which includes the Devil's Kettle waterfall which will be explained in point #3.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 264 miles // 4 hours and 20 minutes.

2. Lanesboro, Minnesota-

A cute little town in Southeastern Minnesota where you can go tubing, ride bikes on scenic trails, enjoy some delicious ice cream, and spend some time browsing in little shops.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 126 miles // 2 hours and 10 minutes.

3. Devil's Kettle Falls-

Hike the scenic trails at Judge C. R. Magney State Park and see the mysterious, Devil's Kettle waterfall for yourself this summer!

Distance from the Twin Cities: 286 miles // 5 hours and 20 minutes.

4. Duluth, Minnesota-

Have lunch at Grandma's Saloon, grab some coffee at Duluth Coffee Company, and spend some time shopping in the cute little stores in Canal Park or exploring the north shore. You cannot go wrong with a weekend trip to Duluth.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 154 miles // 2 hours and 20 minutes.

5. Ashland, Wisconsin-

Take a day trip to Ashland; a port on Lake Superior. Explore the Chequamegon Bay, go on the Ashland mural walk, head to a used bookstore, or stop for some ice cream in this cute little town.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 221 miles // 3 hours and 30 minutes.

6. Downtown Stillwater, Minnesota-

Scenic views along the St. Croix, tons of cute little shops, and delicious restaurants to eat at. A day trip to Stillwater is always a good time.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 26 miles // 35 minutes.

7. The Boundary Waters Canoe Area-

So incredibly beautiful! The Boundary Waters Canoe Area is Located in the Superior National Forest in northeastern, Minnesota. It is over 1 million acres in size, has over 1200 miles of canoe routes to explore as well as 12 hiking trails, and over 2000 campsites where you and your friends can camp while adventuring the great outdoors.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 150 miles // 2 hours and 15 minutes.

8. Bayfield, Wisconsin-

If you are looking for a cute town on a lake, Bayfield is the one. Located on the shore of Lake Superior, Bayfield is full of cute little stores, coffee shops, and restaurants. You can also hop on a ferry there to head over to Madeline Island.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 236 miles // 3 hours and 50 minutes.

9. Madeline Island, Wisconsin-

Take the Ferry from Bayfield over to Madeline Island for a day full of fun! Head to Big Bay State Park on the island where you can explore the trails, sandstone bluffs and caves, miles of beaches, and even go cliff jumping. There are also a lot of cute little shops and places to eat. Definitely a great summer trip destination for you and your friends.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 239 miles // 4 hours and 15 minutes (ferry required).

10. Itasca State Park-

Itasca State Park is Minnesota's oldest state park and is located in Park Rapids, Minnesota. It contains the headwaters of the Mississippi River. It also contains over 32,000 acres of land and includes more than 100 lakes. It's a perfect roadie destination for any nature lover.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 225 miles // 4 hours and 5 minutes.

11. Gooseberry Falls State Park-

Gooseberry Falls is located on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Here you can explore trails along the shoreline, and see the beautiful waterfall.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 194 miles // 2 hours and 59 minutes.

12. Minneapolis, Minnesota-

Looking to spend some time in the city? Well, Minneapolis is the place to go. Spend time during the day going to coffee shops, little gift stores, and shopping plazas like Calhoun Square. When the night hits, head to a sporting event, concert at the historic First Avenue, or head to a nightclub to get your groove on with your pals.

13. Interstate Park (Taylor's Falls), Minnesota-

Interstate Park contains two parks which sit across the St. Croix River from each other. On one side you will find yourself in Minnesota and once you cross the bridge you will be standing in Wisconsin. It's wild. Both parks are full of beautiful scenery, glacial potholes, hiking trails, places to rock climb, canoe, and even go on a ferry boat. There is also a delicious ice cream shop located on the Minnesota side!

Distance from the Twin Cities: 51 miles // 58 minutes.

14. Mystery Cave State Park-

Mystery Cave State Park is located in Forestville, Minnesota. Here you can go on a guided tour of Minnesota's longest known cave. The cave is full of stalactites, stalagmites, flowstone, and underground pools. There is also a maze of interconnecting passages. If you are looking for a cool sight to see, this is a great one.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 122 miles // 2 hours and 10 minutes.

15. Walnut Grove, Minnesota-

Laura Ingalls Wilder museum, Little House on The Prarie, must I say anymore?!

Distance from the Twin Cities: 148 miles // 2 hours and 40 minutes.

16. Hinckley, Minnesota-

Head to Hinckley this summer and plan to stay at Grand Casino! Get your gambling on with your friends and get tickets to one of the summer concerts they put on. You already know that this sounds like a fun time!

Distance from the Twin Cities: 82 miles // 1 hour and 16 minutes.

17. Bemidji, Minnesota-

Bemidji is the perfect "up at the lake experience" that everybody loves! Stop and see the Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox statue, stroll down the sculpture walk, and explore the state park.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 216 miles // 3 hours and 43 minutes.

18. Pipestone, Minnesota-

Not only is it the home of the Pipestone National Monument, but it also contains Winnewissa Falls, cool trails to explore, and cute little shops.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 197 miles // 3 hours and 30 minutes.

19. Ely, Minnesota-

Ely is located in Saint Louis County, Minnesota. It is home to the Kawishiwi Falls Trail, multiple museums, and is full of fun shopping and unique restaurants in downtown. If you like the outdoors it is also a great place to go hiking, canoeing, or camping since it is close to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

Distance from the Twin Cities: 246 miles // 3 hours and 52 minutes.