Mind Matters

Mind Matters

Overcoming mental slavery.

18
Mind Matters
YouTube

It is absolutely true that you are what you think. This is not to say that you can literally think yourself into a career or other desire, but along with a few good virtues and effort, it is almost that simple.

Everything begins in the mind. In order for your body to do anything, your brain has to tell it what to do. This may sound like an obvious fact, but it is something many people do not consider. A healthy body must take direction from the brain in order to act, at least with voluntary functions, like walking, typing, reaching for your third Oreo pack—that sort of thing.

In the same way, we must allow our mind to travel before ourselves. By this, I mean that whenever a person set goals, he or she must see the goal being fulfilled. Thinking in this way not only prepares you mentally to complete the goal but it provides the drive and motivation for the fulfillment thereof.

"The Invention of Wings" by Sue Monk Kidd, my inspiration for this article, is a novel on slavery that introduced to me the issue of “mind over matter.” Through the narratives of the two main characters, Sarah Grimke and her slave, Hetty aka “Handful,” I distinguished not one but two types of slavery.

Whereas Hetty was a physical slave, worth $500 and gifted to Sarah for her 11th birthday, Sarah was a mental slave to her society. Sarah was the obedient one who wished she had the freedom to question the status quo and depart from tradition. (She actually did get around to it, as she became one of the greatest known abolitionists both in history and in this novel.) It is interesting the contrast between their two lives, as Hetty longed for the physical freedom Sarah had, while Sarah yearned for the mental freedom that Hetty possessed.

Throughout the novel, Hetty proves to be a strong-willed individual, who is not afraid to face danger or defeat, even with all the physical restraints on every aspect of her life. Though a slave, Hetty manages to use her mind to manipulate situations and people in order to get her way. She uses a fake badge to leave her slave quarters, helps participate in a slave rebellion by stealing ammunition, and even dares take advantage of her master’s things—things she is not allowed to use, of course—while her masters are away. Though her body was enslaved, in her mind she was free as a bird. This is exactly why, at the end of the novel, the reader finds Hetty on a boat, sailing away to freedom. This final moment is one Hetty had seen in her mind for years. Therefore, when she saw the opportunity, there was no hesitation about acting upon it. (Well, maybe a little because she could have been killed if she was discovered, but still.)

Do not allow yourself to be your own obstacle. If you doubt yourself or your ability to succeed at something, you are, in essence, telling your brain to prepare for failure. I totally understand the need to not “get your hopes up” or to expect the worst just in case, because I get those feelings sometimes, too, but this is one way we hinder ourselves. Sometimes believing is actually seeing, and not the other way around.

Society can also be a hindrance to mental freedom, as we are trained by culture and tradition to think and respond in certain ways to various things. We are trained in our ideas of beauty, we are trained to fear certain groups, prefer certain groups or things and to be accepting of or dislike certain aspects of life. Do not be afraid to break these chains that mentally enslave you. One way to combat mental slavery by society is to be educated on the topic, make your choice, and be bold enough to stick with it.

In a world full of Sarah’s (the young, mentally enslaved Sarah), be a Hetty. Let your mind reach your destination before you do. Start with a bowl of the correct mentality, then add two cups of perseverance and hard work, and you’ll be surprised at what you can accomplish.