Millennials Making Moves: Part 3

Millennials Making Moves: Part 3

Featuring beauticians

44
Millennials Making Moves: Part 3
stanford.edu

This is the third article in a series of articles called "Millennials Making Moves".

For those just tuning in, my inspiration behind this series thrives from my obsession and pride with this generation.

"This generation never ceases to amaze me with their innovation, creativity and drive. It's certainly something to recognize and celebrate," I wrote in the series' first article.

These articles serve 3 purposes:

1. To encourage/shine on those who used their passion as motivation to start their own business/freelance/etc.

2. To give others inspiration to embrace their passions and pave their own way as well.

and probably the biggest reason:

3. I want to create a place for our generation that makes it easier for us to support each other. So when you're in need of a service or product, instead of going to the store, googling service providers, etc, circle back to this series! Opt to support young grinders instead!

The last article highlighted photographers and videographers. This one highlights beauticians:

1. Kaitlynn Broussard

Broussard, hair stylist, said she has been doing hair for over 10 tens years.

"What drives me to do hair and why I have a passion for doing hair is seeing the happiness it can bring to someone's life," she explained. "Like buying a new dress, getting your hair done can brighten up your day and knowing that I am part of the process keeps me working."

Broussard said she is currently in the process of opening her own salon. She also said that in the years to come, she wants to start a wig line to give back to survivors and fighters of cancer.

instagram: @aceofks_

2. Megan Rocks The Beat LLC

Megan Parker is a licensed esthetician and trained Makeup Artist that runs a full service mini spa. Through her business, she offers waxing, makeup and lash extensions services.

"My inspiration for my business was all about making people feel and look beautiful," said Parker. "I've been an esthetician for 3 years, but I only worked for a waxing company and it was draining being under someone else's rules with no room to expand.

"I knew that there were more things that I wanted to offer and I felt like given the opportunity, I could execute it well and make people feel pampered and teach people how to take care of their skin in all areas."

Parker said that she's also developed 2 skincare products and that in the future she hopes to not only have the full service spa, but more products to sell as well.

Instagram: @meganrocksthe.beat

Facebook: Megan Rocks The Beat LLC

3. HAIR HERO MOBILE

Through her business, Destine' Johnson offers professional hair color, cutting, and styling services. She even travels to her customers!

"I was inspired to start a mobile salon when I noticed that the average millennial doesn't have time to go to a salon," Johnson explained. "So I bring my services to wherever they are!"

instagram: @_hairhero

4. Touched By Tee

Tori Hughes said that her inspiration behind starting her business is her love for the art of hair and being able to make her clients feel and look great while doing what she loves.

"My business will provide the best salon experience with hair, nail, and waxing services, relaxation, entertainment, and a smile," she said.

Instagram: @touched.by.tee

5. Lashed by Dai

Daisa Bell said her business was designed with the idea of wanting to make every woman feel like a star by extending her natural lash and enhancing her eyes.
Bell said in 2012, her first job was working at Macy's Impulse Beauty counter where she learned how to apply makeup and found herself falling in love with the beauty industry.

"I always felt like lashes were a necessity if nothing else. They added that 'POP' that every eye needed," she explained.

However, she said there was always the hassle of of falling asleep after a night out and waking up to eyelash strips stuck to her pillow or forehead.

"Years later I discovered eyelash extensions. After hearing they lasted 4/6 weeks, I instantly fell in love with them and was eager to learn how to apply them," she said. "Eager to introduce my new found love to all of my ladies, I started my own business!"

Instagram: @lashedbydai

6. BeBeautiful

Bria Calvin, owner, said she has always been a lover of everything that is beautiful. Through her business, she provides full glam servicing including makeup and protective hair styles including braids, twists, crochet, sew-ins, wigs and locs.

Calvin said that she has had many ups and downs with her own standard of beauty and that once she learned how to enhance her beauty, she decided to share her acquired talents.

"I pride myself on being a self taught MUA and protective hair stylist, however, I couldn't have gotten this far without the encouragement from I'm family and friends," she said. "My business started with experimenting on them and then it just keeps expanding beyond my original vision."

Instagram: @bebeautiful504

Facebook: BeBeautiful

7. LeBijou Design

Through her business, Kaeli Creel makes fantasy based beauty and bath products. For example, she sells mermaid and Harry Potter themed makeup brushes, bath potions & fun soaps.

"Fantasy books and movies always inspired my art. I started crafting my own makeup brushes to use and started thinking, 'If I like it, then surely someone else would!'," she recalled. "I decided to open up an Etsy shop last year and it took off!"

Instagram: @geekdcosmetics

Facebook: @LeBijouDesign