Why Millennials Are The Most Risk-Averse Drivers

Millennials on the road

37

While most of the world is lashing out Generation Y for being reckless drivers, have you wondered just how many drivers we're talking about? The truth about whether Millennials are such horrible drivers is somewhere in between, as it's usually the case with everything in life. Therefore, let's debunk some myths once and for all!

Ever since mobile phones have taken over the world, our daily routines have changed completely. There are always campaigns about distracted drivers using their cell phones, and it's usually done via a video or photography of a young person, somewhere between 18-34 years old. texting, looking at the phone, or even taking a selfie or posting a story on Instagram. Sounds familiar? There's no easy way around it. What we see in those ads is true.

According to one Australian study, multitasking during driving is quite common and 55% of the drivers are inclined to use a phone while on the go. However, that's not the biggest distraction in this interesting research. Rather than updating their statuses, people will actually grab a bite or two. Trying to balance a big sandwich and a steering wheel never worked well enough for anyone, did it?

To summarize, one 88% of Millennials admitted to performing risky behaviours while driving (one way or the other) in the last 30 days. Considering this, one would think Millennials are simply crazy about cars and driving, while the other "respectable" generations are shaking with fear when going on the highway. Well, not in the slightest!

Believe it or not, but as opposed to their parents, Millennials show very little interest in taking the driving test. While Generation X couldn't wait to get their hands on the wheels, their offspring don't seem to care much, and there are several good reasons for it.

The first one has already been explained – Millennials know just how irresponsible drivers they are. For this reason, fear of other drivers is number one anxiety among the youngest generations. Indeed, fear of death, snakes, or public speaking don't come close to it. What's more, 52% Americans would actually gladly use a self-driving car, which testifies even more just how much they don't trust themselves.

Then again, there are some other reasons which are a lot more pleasant. One of them is traveling. Though, we have to mention not liking the idea of too much responsibility. Cars cost money. First of all, you need to buy one, and second of all, unless it's brand new, it requires ongoing maintenance. Bearing in mind the restless nature of the generation, it's no wonder they shy away from purchasing their own vehicle. Plus, there are so many other, much better ways of putting that car money to good use. Traveling and visiting new countries is definitely one of them. Road trips are a thing of the past. It's all about the final destination and not so much about the journey nowadays.

Another trait of Millennials which puts them off driving is their awareness of how much harm exhaust fumes are causing to the environment. Owning a car isn't environmentally friendly at all, unless it's a Tesla one.

Also, Uber and similar driving services have appeared due to the demand. Why not share a car and meet some new people, instead of driving solo?

Last but not the least, one of Millennials' huge concerns is how to park properly in tight spaces. Now, why would one buy a car and get exposed to such stress every day? That's why manufacturers are constantly investing in helpful tools for easier parking.
To summarize, Millennials are one scared generation when it comes to driving. Sitting behind the wheel poses a great risk in their eyes, for one reason or the other. Sometimes, they even find driving unexciting and too much of a hassle. So, if they can, most of Millennials will gladly avoid the whole process and just book a flight to some interesting destination.