Why Millennials Pursue Cultural Capital

Why Millennials Pursue Cultural Capital

What people don’t realize is that amidst our strange ways, we are actually on a very important quest.

144
Why Millennials Pursue Cultural Capital
OfficeSpace Software, Eugenio Marongiu / Shutterstock

Our generation often gets criticized for tuning out—for staring at our computer screens, making weird faces at our phones, putting pound signs in front of words to caption photographs and having thumbs that are more agile than our legs.

What people don’t realize is that amidst our strange ways, we are actually on a very important quest — the pursuit of cultural capital. Though it is a voyage we undertake unconsciously, it is not one for which we should be criticized.

I was introduced to cultural capital in my intro to sociology class. It was something that I had considered but had never thought to define or investigate.

Cultural capital refers to things like education, speaking style, mannerisms, and other qualities that arise from exposure to wealth. Embodied cultural capital refers to that which is inherited from family — for example, proper dining manners and the ability to speak a language properly.

Objectified cultural capital refers to physical objects like paintings, as they indicate money without actually being money, but also suggest a certain extent of knowledge about something sophisticated like the Art World.

Institutionalized cultural capital refers to a diploma or certificate that one might obtain from a university. In other words, cultural capital refers to tangible and intangible items, which — though not money themselves — suggest wealth.

To give some context, sociologist Pierre Bourdieu first used the term to help explain the discrepancy in education. This discrepancy refers to the idea that by working hard and being quote-unquote “smart”, one can achieve greatly. Bourdieu argued that generally intelligence, intellect, ability to earn an education, and capacity to succeed is predetermined by one’s cultural capital, which is dictated by exposure to wealth. Simply put, there can be no meritocracy.

To preface my point, I should mention that when I learned about cultural capital, I learned about the global quest for it. I learned that families in Southeastern Asia, for example, send children abroad to countries like Singapore and the Philippines so that they can learn the English language — another example of cultural capital. I am not meaning to diminish challenging quests like these, as they not only cause terrible strains on families but definitely serve as the essence of the cultural capital conversation.

My intention is to show a different perspective on the matter — that Millennials, though in a very different way, are on the quest for cultural capital as well, and that we seek it rather impulsively. We strive to earn it, retain it, and prove that we deserve it. And no, I’m not referring to the money that this capital suggests.

I first want to mention that I don’t think I’ve ever met a college student who isn’t grateful to be in college. That may be a strange thing to say, but it’s true. Sure, maybe a certain college doesn’t suit a student or maybe a student organization doesn’t satisfy a personal desire. Millennials are happy to be in college, and they’re proud to be there. Yes. They are. No, not just for the parties — for everything else too.

Without thinking about it, Millennials — as far as I can tell — want to do well. We may have a parent who worked incredibly hard to send us to school, or a mentor who inspired us to pursue a certain professional path. We may strive to figure out our entire lives during college, or maybe we just want to learn what it is like to live away from home.

Millennials aspire to be educated because knowledge opens doors. It exposes people to different corners of the world, ideas, art, theories, sciences, and beauty. It encourages travel and observance and thought. And students realize that, even if we don’t like or disagree with the things we’re learning.

Millennials join organizations to learn things outside of their studies: Greek life to become part of a welcoming community, service organizations to help those in need, literary magazines to refine writing skills, an orchestra to enjoy music. Or maybe, we just want to spend time with our friends so that we can form meaningful connections and grow together.

We partake in sports — some of which we’ve played since we were young, others of which we join just to learn a new game, make friends, and get some exercise. Because exercise is good. Yes, Millennials recognize that.

We understand the importance of communicating and networking with friends, teachers, and authority figures. We understand that relationships can help us get involved in projects, internships, maybe even jobs, and that if they don’t, we can still enjoy the company and learn new perspectives on the world. We understand that being polite and friendly can make a difference.

I would argue not that Millennials take their opportunities for granted, but rather that we don't consider our deeds to be cultural entities while we are on the move each day. This mentality doesn’t just come from our elders, but from ourselves too. We pressure ourselves to get involved, obtain cultural capital, and succeed. We do this all the time, without even thinking about it. It’s wired within us. It’s something we can’t control; it’s simply a part of our society.

We have goals.

Big goals.

Just ask us.

Because even though we’re making weird faces into our phones and zone out on occasion (yes, we know we do this), our minds are moving a mile a minute. They’re always on the lookout, perusing the frontier for cultural enrichment.

If I may speak on behalf of the Millennials I’ve met, we are all doing the very best we can.