I Am A Millennial And Yes, I Am Impatient

If we're being real, waiting makes me want to rip out my hair.

127
Kymberly Conrad

Millennials have been slapped and tagged with various stereotypes over the past few years. To be honest, a lot of them aggravate me to my core because I am a millennial myself and for the most part, they are negative.

In case you needed a small reminder, here are a few that tend to be the most common.

"Millennials are lazy."

"Millennials think they are something special."

"Millennials are way too sensitive."

And let us not forget the oh so popular,

"Millennials are addicted to their devices."

Being classified as the generation that doesn't "work hard enough" makes me cringe and I am willing to bet that if you are a millennial it makes you cringe too. I don't know about you, but after hearing these stereotypes it sure as heck makes me feel the need to do everything in my power to go against the grain and NOT fit the mold of the typical millennial.

However, today I caught myself right in the midst of a stereotype of millennials that leaves a very gross taste in my mouth and that is this... "Millennials are impatient."

This reality slapped me in the face as I woke up panicked because I had way too much to get done. I hopped in the shower and the water didn't heat up within a few seconds and anger bubbled up within me. OVER WATER? Then the reality of my impatience hit me like a truck.

In the US, we have access to clean water while in other developing countries, people walk for miles upon miles just to get their DAILY supply.

Then I thought about it a little more and guess what? When the internet takes too long to load, I start to get antsy. When Netflix doesn't want to stream my favorite show, it makes me want to rip out my hair and the idea of waiting for anything really just doesn't rub me the right way.

But at the end of the day, maybe this isn't just a "Millennial stereotype", perhaps this is a problem we have because we are human.

As human beings, we mess up, quite often actually. Yes, as human beings living in the United States in 2018, we have this desire of instant gratification. When we don't get things, we don't like it.

Thus, my friends, maybe you needed the slap in the face that I got this morning. We live in a busy culture, one that tells us daily that we don't have the time for waiting. The next time you are waiting for the water to heat up, or the internet to load, or aggravated at the delay of a flight, remember that it is something so very temporary. If the water takes a little longer to heat up, your day will go on. If your flight is delayed, you will get there eventually. If the internet is going slow, is it REALLY a need that you get the page loaded right that second?

We don't need to fall into the trap. I am sure it's a process to de-condition ourselves of this idea that we need things instantly. This is not to say that waiting is an easy thing, and clearly, I have got some issues with it.

Millennials, let's break the stereotypes together.

All other humans, let's get better at being people.