How Millennials' Handyman Ignorance Can Actually Benefit Business

Older generations like to point out that millennials aren't the best at home repairs. But that could actually be great for local businesses.

42

Millennial stereotypes have invaded the media over the last decade, so you're likely used to seeing certain headlines if you're a young person. One day, you and your friends are supposedly killing off an entire industry, and the next day, you're the laziest generation on earth.

It's enough to make you roll your eyes, but some of these stereotypes hide the positive change behind the actual story. Roughly 41 percent of millennials would call a professional repairman before fixing something around the house on their own, which people might attribute to laziness. Although sometimes that could be true, it might actually be a great thing for businesses if the trend remains steady in the years to come.

Millennials' handyman ignorance can benefit business, and it isn't something to necessarily worry about. You could help keep the repairman industry alive, which is a headline that outshines all the rest.

1. You become a repeat customer.

Imagine that a pipe breaks under your kitchen sink, and you call a plumber to fix it. Unlike negative headlines that would shame young people for the laziness of skipping a DIY solution, you'd likely trust a professional to save you money in the future. Instead of hoping that a shaky repair holds in the months and years to come, you can rest easy because you met a great team who fixed the problem the first time.

Afterward, you always know you can call the same business for future repairs. Whenever a friend, family member or co-worker needs the same kind of help, you'd likely recommend the plumbing company you trust. It's word-of-mouth marketing that keeps businesses open. Your recommendations increase the money spent within the local economy, too, which keeps your city running.

2. You keep small businesses open.

Research has shown that millennials love to support small businesses, so when you call for a handyman, it's likely a mom-and-pop company sending an employee to your home. Family-owned shops don't get the national name recognition that corporations benefit from, making it much harder to grow their business. While you build a rapport with their staff and enjoy personal, professional services, they get repeated calls that keep their doors open.

Even if the idea of completing some millennial handy work doesn't scare you away from a project, hiring someone from a small business is something you can be proud of.

When you eventually post the review of your experience on social media, new customers will be more likely to try that company. Your support results in long-term success for the repair businesses you care about, so it's a win for everyone involved.

3. You need basic supplies.

Sometimes, you might not call a handyman, but even then, you're still stimulating the economy and helping businesses. If you want to tackle a small project yourself, you'll need basic supplies to complete the job.

You can still choose a small business or family-owned company that provides the essentials you need and skip the trip to the mega-brand hardware store. Smaller shops that carry basic supplies can also make the project easier for you.

Instead of spending hours learning how to work with wire for an electrical repair, you can use precut and stripped wire to shortcut the process. The same goes for small companies that produce preprepared supplies. You'll prevent making costly mistakes, and fund the smaller businesses that the community needs.

4. Embrace your preferences.

Millennials and housework get a bad rap in click-bait articles, but you should embrace your preferences. Hiring a handyman actually benefits businesses, especially when you work with small shops that aren't part of a national chain brand.

Whether you call a plumber or get helpful supplies that shorten a project, you'll support the local economy and the growth of small businesses.