Times Are Changing And Millennial Christians Want To Include The LBGTQ Community

While there are still problems with acceptance, you can count on Millennial Christians to support you.

149

Graduation parties are always fun. It is exciting to celebrate the graduation of a friend while also having the ability to talk with other friends that are attending the same party. While I was at a graduation party this past Friday, I saw a friend that I have not seen in a very long time due to her being a year younger than me and that we go to different colleges. We were engaged in conversation and began talking about relationships when she openly told me that she now identifies as bisexual. Now, as a Christian, we believe that identifying as anything other than straight is a sin. However, I must say I was incredibly happy for her being that I do not believe it is a sin.

Growing up in a Christian household and beginning to go through puberty, kids are often read scriptures like Leviticus 20:13 (MEV) or 1 Corinthians 7:2 (MEV) which says, "Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband” along with several other scriptures. However, it seems that what the parents and grandparents of the millennial generation don’t seem to realize is that times have changed.

Clearly, there are still problems in our society with the acceptance of people who are apart of or support the LGBTQ community as seen with the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando in 2016. However, the millennial generation is organizing and throwing pride parades, fighting sexual and sexuality abuse, organizing walkouts, and finally getting the chance to partake in same-sex marriage. Millennials are looking to change how people see and understand sexuality, but a lot of what is holding them back is the traditional thinking of Christian parents and grandparents of millennials.

I understand that Christian parents and grandparents of millennials were raised a more traditional way, and it is hard to accept change. I understand that the Bible holds scriptures like Leviticus 20:13 (MEV) and 1 Corinthians 7:2 (MEV) that explain that identifying as anything other than being straight as a sin. Yet, the Bible also contains scripture like James 4:12 (MEV) and Galatians 5:14 (MEV) which says “for the entire law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “you shall love your neighbor as yourself.” These are the scriptures that helped create the “Golden Rule” that tells us to accept and to love one another. To treat each other with fairness and kindness and to implement it in our daily lives. Yet, that is not the way that the Christian parents and grandparents of millennials are truly living.

To the millennials, it is great if you are straight, it is great if you are gay, it is great if you are bisexual, it is great however else you self-identify. Due to the change our generation has ignited, a lot of Christian millennials are supportive of the LBGTQ community in addition to other self-identifications. Many Christian millennials do not see identifying as something other than straight as a sin because it is who you are. We love and care for you just as we would anyone else because we are all children of God. We know that he loves you too.

To the parents and grandparents of millennials, change is no longer coming. Change is here. Please try to see that the traditional Christian ways of thinking are beginning to fade away, and acceptance is the “new way” of thinking. As millennial Christians, we are not trying to be disobedient, and we are not trying to break our ties with God. We are trying to help make church a safe place for those who want to worship God, but we are being held back by traditional Christian thinking. We love our neighbors as we love ourselves.