Milk Spilt Opening at Rubberneck Gallery

Sara Law and Marcy Thomas

116
© Marcy Thomas
Rubberneck is pleased to present Milk Spilt, an exhibition of original work by Sara Law and Marcy Thomas

This February, Rubberneck introduces the dual exhibition, Milk Spilt, featuring Sara Law and Marcy Thomas. Whether by surface, slab, or crude form, these artists share the instinct to spill, slather and manipulate their chosen media in a spectrum ranging from cool, overcast grays to neon brights. The emotion of Law’s paintings venture into an atmospheric quality, while Thomas’ sculptures encase and ground. The relishment of formal, material, and sensory processes leads to new, personalized forms of visual and tactile language.

Marcy's work is characterized by an interest in transitions: the time it takes for a liquid or slurry to become solid, the filling of negative space to create positive forms, and when dimension and surface are born. Thomas builds intuitively with concrete, pulp, other fiber and linear materials, allowing the tactile sensations of opposing elements to speak for themselves. The result is a compromise between anti-form and containment.

Sara Law utilizes a unique and idiosyncratic relationship with language navigated visually through color and sensation. Specific color combinations provide her with comfort and stimulate her emotionally, leaving a feeling of vulnerability. Law yearns for an overcast sky and takes pleasure in the absence of the sun. Her work is motivated by the fact that her thoughts cannot always be conveyed through the limited means of the English language.

Miscommunication is inescapable. The formal shape of language is inextricable from its auditory actualization; one is able to understand the thoughts we convey in this moment because of the layers of language we have built together. However, formal language, as an organized system of communicating and understanding, seems to me incomplete. Law chooses to visually express language. The weight and shape of language is a growing interest of hers, which has always been a crucial part in her linguistic understanding.

The opening reception is Friday, February 2nd 6-10 pm.
Rubberneck Gallery | West Chicago

2058 W. Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60622

rubberneckgallery@gmail.com
rubberneckgallery.com

T: 708.703.8533