The Mighty Florida Gators Go Down

The Mighty Florida Gators Go Down

The #8 Florida Gators lost a close match to the #6 LSU Tigers

17
The Mighty Florida Gators Go Down
Miami Herald

The Gators looked disheveled Saturday night and lost to LSU in a very close game.

The game started out strong and quickly lost footing, with the Gators
constantly having to come from behind. The fake field goal ran in for a touchdown by LSU and sealed the game.

Treon Harris looked good, until the closing minutes of the game. His passes were under thrown and ultimately left no options for the receivers to make big plays. On the other hand, Brandon Harris (the LSU quarterback) was hurling long balls down field to Malachi Dupre, who caught two passes deep that he should never have given the strength of the Gator defense.

The Gators had to zone too much into shutting down Leonard Fournette that it seemed like they forgot their was a quarterback who could throw. LSU, without their starting tight end and full back, was still able to move the ball on the ground and in the air.

There were a lot of miscues on both teams, but ultimately one of them (the LSU fumble recovered by the Gators) could've changed the game. Instead, the call stood with LSU still in possession, which was a huge blow for the Gators given their momentum at the time.

Les Miles is known for his bold plays and that's how he beat the Gators once again. Miles calls his play a calculated risk, but he truly does trust his players. 2007 he kept the Tigers on the field for five straight fourth down plays, and McElwain should've expected something extreme last night as well.

Overall, I believe this is a great learning experience for the young Gators and a new head coach. Perfection would've been great, but victory only comes after lessons. Going back and watching the tape, Treon will learn what he needs to do better in order to give his receivers a chance and dump passes to his running backs. McElwain and the Gators are far from down and out.

The Gators, before Saturday's match, were the top of the SEC East and LSU was the top of the SEC West. It was a great matchup that came down the wire and I am fairly confident that we'll see them again down the road.

The next matchup against Georgia (who BARELY scraped by Missouri), so let the Georgia hate begin. After a win against Missouri, who beat Georgia, the Gators should feel fairly confident about their chances.

For all the disappointed Gator fans, such as myself, it will get better. This was a learning game for UF and fans can't be too upset about the outcome. Treon Harris, though he is no Will Grier, seems confident in himself and with the team, so there will be progress and explosive plays to come. To LSU - we'll be back. See you in the SEC championship game.

To everyone else who doubts the Gators –watch us exceed every expectation you have.