The Struggle Of Dealing With Micromanagers

It's not you, it's them!!
29

There is nothing more stressful than dealing with a micromanager for 40 hours a week.

For those who don't know the term, a "micromanager" is a supervisor that watches every move you make at your job and criticizes everything you do no matter how hard you try. Unfortunately there are thousands of these people in this world in supervisory positions. They are hired because they will do anything the company allows them to get away with in order to completely control their staff. Verbal abuse, humiliation, intimidation and threatening to fire on a daily basis are not below their moral standards. I worked for a micromanager for eight years.

I would come to work with a schedule in my mind of tasks that I wanted to accomplish that day. I would not even have my coat off and my supervisor would sabotage my schedule.She would ask me to do what SHE wanted me to do with no regard for what I considered to be important. She would ask me if I was done with my office work but then not allow me to be in the office or she would sit in the office and talk to me the entire time while I was trying to get my office work done.

Staff would consistently report one particular staff member whose patients consistently had bruises. I would state my concerns thinking that it would be investigated thoroughly. It would be ignored. My concerns always went by the wayside. The supervisor did not want me to get any positive recognition. The physical appearance of the garden boxes on the patio were the priority. Suddenly there was an immediate disciplinary action for the fact that the plants died due to the staff not watering them.The staff was too busy taking care of their patients. There were literally hundreds of incidents like this.

There is also extreme favoritism with working for a micro manager. In a field that is completely dominated by women, At my job, the males were favored. The males got the easier patients. There were lower expectations of them. The female staff were expected to have eyes in back of their heads at all times, while the male staff could talk on their cell phones. I was actually told that we "needed some testosterone to shake things up" when I asked why two males were hired when there were so many qualified female candidates interviewed for the same jobs. One of the men was an average worker. He would complete his tasks until the supervisor left for the day then he would go outside to talk on his cell phone leaving all of his patients to the female staff member that was on his shift.

The patients liked him but the liked all of the other female staff just as much. He was constantly praised for his performance My supervisor actually cried when he put his resignation in. I never saw her cry over anyone else.Meanwhile, I was highly praised by every family member that came to visit the patients and I was never acknowledged for that. Whenever someone came in that my supervisor liked, she would interrupt my conversation with them immediately and tell me to get back to work even though it was in my job description maintain a good rapport with visitors.

The only solution that I have for those working with a micromanager is to quit. They will never change no matter how well you do the job.