3 Other Candidates That Could Get The #1 Overall Pick In The NFL Draft, Besides Tua Tagovalioa

In 2019, the mantra for the Miami Dolphins has been to #Tank4Tua, but they could lose the first overall pick for other worthy players.

1

In the 2017 College Football National Championship Game, Tua Tagovalioa took the world by storm and brought the Alabama Crimson Tide back from the dead to beat the Georgia Bulldogs. After that game, NFL teams were drooling over the idea of taking Tua as the first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. In the 2019 offseason, when the Miami Dolphins traded away quarterback Ryan Tannehill, the tank was engaged for Tagovalioa. As the 2019 season has drawn on, there are now three legit candidates for who can also get the number one overall pick in the draft.

1. Washington Redskins

@redskins

Dan Snyder may be one of the worst owners in the history of professional sports, but the Redskins are one of the worst teams in football. There was optimism for Redskins after they almost upset the Philadelphia Eagles in the opening game of the season. After that, the train has driven off the track, whether it be getting clobbered on national TV on Monday Night Football by the Chicago Bears or losing by multiple scores to the New York Giants.

During that game against the Giants, the Redskins decided to put in their rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins, and it didn't look like he was the answer for the 'Skins. The positive thing for the Dolphins is that the Redskins have their quarterback of the future in Dwayne Haskins, and even if they have the first overall pick, they wouldn't take Tua with that selection.

2. Arizona Cardinals

@azcardinals

The team that had the first overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals, was struggling to keep up with the rest of the NFL even though they were able to play with the Lions on the opening weekend. When they picked Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray, the Cardinals were in full rebuild. they are going to be a 4-12, 5-11, maybe even 6-10 team for the next three or four seasons.

Just like the Redskins, the Cardinals have their quarterback of the future, Kyler Murray, so it would be complete tomfoolery if the Cardinals traded away Murray in order to draft Tua. So, for now, the tank for Tua is still intact for the Dolphins.

3. Cincinnati Bengals

@bengals

This is the team that could give the Dolphins a real run for their money, and they have every right to draft Tua with that first overall pick in the draft. The Bengals are one of the worst teams in football. In week four, when they played the winless Pittsburgh Steelers, they were embarrassed by the team, proving that the Bengals aren't a team that isn't even trying to compete anymore. The Bengals have tried to give quarterback Andy Dalton chances to succeed, but he has failed by not giving the Bengals a playoff birth since 2015.

For the Bengals, they could move on from Dalton and draft Tua, which would ruin a two-year plan by the Dolphins to draft Tua. So, the Dolphins would have to wait until 2021 to draft Trevor Lawerence.