Metal Caskets or Wooden Funeral Caskets – What You Should Consider
News

19

There are various casket materials to choose from, depending on what your money can buy. There is the option of steel caskets, and then you've got wooden caskets. There are bronze caskets and several other precious metal caskets.

Today, we want to compare two common casket material types – Metal caskets vs. wooden caskets: which should you consider?

A is a metal casket, B is a wooden casket; which one catches your attention the most?

It is an A for me. So that means we should go for metallic caskets anytime our loved ones die? Not so quick. The decision goes beyond which one makes one’s eyes dilate faster.

There are a few things to consider:

Price points

Environment-friendliness

Durability

Existence of options

Personalization and customization

Lifespan

ETC.

Without saying much, let's see how metal caskets compare to their wooden counterparts, as well as which to choose for your funeral proceedings.

Mind you, funeral provision services like Trusted Caskets have a perfect blend of both worlds. Whether you decide to go with steel caskets or wooden ones, Trusted Caskets has a wide catalog of caskets for sale. You can search and order right now.

Metal Caskets

I'm just going to throw your mind back to the time you visited a funeral home. Remember that shiny-looking casket you saw that looked so glossy, crisp, and smooth? The body parts looked like that of a newly bought car.

Well, that’s your typical metal caskets. Perhaps you haven’t been to a funeral home before. No problem. I bet you’ve seen a similar description in movies, shows, TV news, and even on social media.

Metal caskets: Variation of options

Mind you, what you saw in your favorite movie or at the funeral home could have been steel caskets, carbon steel caskets, bronze caskets, copper caskets, or even gold caskets. All metal caskets, in general, are renowned for having that touch of elegance and ‘flashiness.’

All in all, you should know that metal caskets allow you to choose from a wide range of precious metals. The question really is, what can your money buy?

What is unique about metal caskets?

Some people might say the flashiness – how it looks like a newly purchased Ferrari. But I’d say it’s the protective lid that comes with it.

Metal caskets are also called ‘gasketed’ ‘protective’ or ‘sealer’ caskets. You’ll hear the funeral homes throwing any of these phrases around if you visit.

This name connotes the fact some of the metal caskets come with a 'sealed enclosure.' There is a thick rubber gasket across the lid that protects the elements within.

Ease of customization

Can steel caskets be customized? You bet all-metal caskets can be. The beautiful thing about metal caskets is you can mold and stamp them with various ornaments that the deceased would have liked. Say your late father requested to have his chain pendant or skull ring with him for their funeral; you could easily get this stamped on a steel casket.

At Trusted Casket, they understand the importance of casket customization in funeral proceedings. As such, they are always ready to fulfill any requests clients may have because they have a wide caskets inventory.

Durability

When it comes to casket selection, the question everyone asks is which one is going to last the most.

And on that note, you can bet it is metal. Whether steel caskets, bronze caskets, or carbon steel caskets, these materials last a lifetime – longer than any material you could think of. Even carbon steel that isn't as durable as the rest of the metal club may still last longer than regular wooden caskets.

Additionally, there are extra steps you can take to make a metal casket more durable.

1. You can make it crushproof

2. You can add an extra layer of protection by increasing the thickness of the metal

3. You can treat the metal with various chemicals to cut out rust and corrosion.

Wooden Caskets

Oh, wood … Oh wood…

What is it with wood and that natural, calm, and warm vibes you get around them? I guess it must be because of what they represent – nature.

Anyways, as with anything made of wood, wooden caskets give you that feeling of naturality – as if your loved one has been placed where they truly belong.

And just as you have it with metal caskets, you can make your wooden caskets order online on the Trusted Casket website, or you can simply talk to your funeral home on how to get one.

Wooden Caskets: Exterior Beauty

Expectedly, every wooden casket is a beautiful work of art. You get the feeling like there’s an element of craftsmanship in what you’re buying.

And in terms of external appeal, most wooden caskets often come in highly polished gloss or natural satin-finish, which accentuates the wood grains.

Wooden Caskets: Interior Beauty

Wooden caskets are beautiful on the inside, too. Usually, you'll find that wooden caskets have interiors made with beautifully hand-crafted interiors such as ivory-colored velvet, traditional white, and crepe.

Wooden caskets: Variation of options

I guess the right thing to say here is there are as many wooden caskets types as there are wood types. Meaning that, just as we have various types of woods, we’ve got various wooden casket types, too.

You could choose to order online from a range of options including, mahogany, cherry, walnut, maple, oak, pecan, and pine.

A much better way to view wooden casket options is the categorization on Trusted Casket, which goes as Wooden Casket – Solid Wood options and Veneer Wood options.

What is unique about wooden caskets?

Unfortunately, due to the porosity of the wood, wooden caskets cannot be completely ‘sealed’ like their metallic counterparts.

However, one of the uniqueness of wooden caskets is their ‘warm’ feel and look. Unlike steel caskets, wooden caskets aren’t flashy or overly ‘shouty.’

This is particularly important if the deceased isn’t someone that likes flashy things.

Ease of customization

Another important unique feature is the fact they can be customized with various decorations – both internally and externally.

To put it simply, wooden caskets are more artist-friendly than their metallic counterparts. Meaning that you can do with them as you see fit. Add as many elements as you want, throw in any decorative pieces you like, and fit in any ornament that interests you.

Durability

Like metal caskets, wooden caskets are quite durable, too. They can last a while.

If you’re worried about your funeral casket not decaying quickly, go with metal caskets. This is because it doesn't matter what you do to preserve a wooden casket; it would still return to the earth in time.

However, you can take steps to make a wooden casket more durable. These include:

1. Treating the wood with the right chemicals

2. Replace hinges, rails, and nails with environmentally friendly choices like pegs, fasteners, glues, and joints.

3. Building a burial vault around the wooden casket.

Metal Caskets or Wooden Funeral Caskets – which is the most cost-friendly?

Honestly, the price can hardly play a part in the selection of your funeral casket. This is because both wooden and metal caskets are quite pricey.

If you think steel caskets or bronze caskets are too expensive, wait till you find out the prices of mahogany caskets.

CONCLUSION

Choosing between wood and metal depends on so many considerations. Your best bet is to shop with someone who knows about caskets better than you do. If you want to order online, use a reliable service like Trusted Casket that can help you with the selection.