A Message To The #Haters Of The Nike Plus Size Line

Thick girls need clothes, too.

19
True Activist

Earlier in March, Nike released their very first plus size line for women which mirrors all regular sized items like leggings, shirts, and hoodies, which go up to 3X and sports bras that run to size 38E. Although Nike has finally made a step in the right direction by catching up to society's clothing standards, their release of the plus size line received more negative feedback than expected.

Despite the fact that almost every store has a plus size section, (no matter how small and limited it is) for some reason, people took to social media to express how unbeneficial it is for a workout company to supply clothing for women who are curvier, heavier, or simply not a size six.

Society can't seem to make up its mind about what standards they want, not that anyone should care anyway, however, it is simply unfair and most annoying to continually find a way to denigrate people who are trying to make a difference in their own lives.

Example A:

People constantly stress about the importance of obesity, healthy eating, proportions, and getting the proper amount of exercise into your daily life. The one thing society has noticed is that workout clothes are only made to fit those who are already in shape. So how does that give other members of society a chance to better themselves if they don't have the tools, or in this case the clothing, to do so?

Example B:

However, when someone who is obese, struggling with weight, or simply just wants to improve their overall health and strength, suddenly society has a problem with that. So for those of you out there who still don't understand the purpose of Nike's Plus Size brand, well clearly it isn't meant for you and why do you care so much?

Think of it like this: What are the reasons for why you wear Nike clothing? Does it motivate you to workout? Does it make you feel comfortable with your body? Does it make you want to dedicate an hour or two out of your day to improve your health and fitness? If you answered yes to all of those, then clearly they can apply to anyone in any shape or size.

On the other hand, when I saw the advertisement on my Instagram feed, the first thing I noticed is that some of the models don't necessarily fit into the category of plus size. Not to mention the fact that almost every popular clothing store is actually the size down that it says on the tag (meaning: XL=L L=M M=S etc.), these women were a mere large or XL but not beyond.

Many people commented: "How is this plus size," "She's not plus, she's average and she looks good." The real question is, why do people always find a reason to hate on someone or something?

It is called body-shaming, a word and a common practice that has been used throughout human history. Either you're too skinny or you're too fat, and then when you change to the opposite, people still complain. However, the clap back will always be strong because while you are insulting the strong and beautiful models of the new Nike Plus Size line they are doing this: