Merry Christmas For The Seahawks

Merry Christmas For The Seahawks

Although there is still work to be done, the Hawks have reason to be happy for the holidays.

396
Merry Christmas For The Seahawks
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Seattle Seahawks – 21

Dallas Cowboys – 12

Do you hear what I hear? No, not sleigh bells, but the faint sound of a heart monitor. The distant beeps are that of the Seattle Seahawks and their playoff hopes. Written off and left for dead after the shellacking by the LA Rams, Seattle was grasping at the 8th spot in a 6-team race for the postseason. Although not mathematically eliminated, it sure looked that way. Seattle no longer controlled their own destiny and required plenty of help.

Fortunately for them, they must have been on the nice list this year. Almost everything that had to go their way, did. In addition to beating the Dallas Cowboys (loser of the said game would have been eliminated), Seattle had to hope for:

• New Orleans to beat Atlanta
  • Tampa Bay to beat Carolina
  • Detroit to lose at least one of their remaining two games

The Saints clinched a playoff berth by dominating the Atlanta Falcons, giving Seattle a much-needed boost. The Lions remembered they were the Lions and blew a very winnable game at Cincinnati, allowing Seattle to move up in the standings. Unfortunately, Tampa Bay could not hold onto the win over Carolina, but more on that later. Two of the four most important things for the Seahawks went their way, but it would have been all for naught if they couldn’t bounce back for a win over the “Boys."

Yet again, the Seahawks proved they are one of the best teams in the NFL when their backs are pressed against the wall. When the straits are at their most dire is when the Hawks are the most dangerous. This team will not go gentle into that good night. The Seattle Seahawks will not go down without a fight.

In what was essentially an early playoff game, the Seahawks had to take care of a Cowboys squad fighting for their postseason lives as well. Seattle kicked off with one of their patented slow-starts. Statistically speaking, Dallas was dominating in the box score, yet only held a 6-0 lead from two Dan Bailey field goals. The depleted Legion of Boom had an outstanding showing following their abysmal performance the week prior.

The turning point of the game really came from Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant fumble. After spending the majority of the first half blowing up on the sideline, demanding more targets from his offensive coordinator, Bryant finally got his chance. A chance that was immediately squandered after Byron Maxwell punched out the ball, just like he did to Demaryius Thomas in Super Bowl XLVIII. Seattle quickly capitalized with Wilson finding Jimmy Graham on a fade in the end zone, Graham’s 10th score of the year. Jimmy Graham is now the first tight end in NFL history to have a 10+ touchdown season with two different teams.

Dallas managed to snake down the field for a third field goal right before the intermission, leading 9-7 at the half. For Dallas, that was pretty much all she wrote. To start off the third quarter, quarterback Dak Prescott threw an ill-advised pass right into the waiting arms of Seattle’s Justin Coleman. An interception that was promptly returned for a touchdown, Coleman’s second pick-six of the season. Fun fact: Coleman’s two touchdowns are more than any other Seattle running back has scored all season.

The Cowboys answered with their fourth and final field goal of the game to close the gap to 14-12. On their next drive, Dak made the mistake of targeting Dez for the second time. A pass that bounced off his hands and immediately to KJ Wright. The Seahawks closed out the game with a 70-yard touchdown drive capped off with Wilson finding Doug Baldwin. Before that drive, Seattle had mustered all of 57 total yards of offense.

Turnovers were the key in this one, as was Seattle’s ability to capitalize on horrific mistakes from Big D. Coming off three Dallas turnovers Seattle managed to score 21 points, gain 122 net yards and 8 first downs. All other possessions that didn’t include a turnover had a grand total of 0 points, 1 net yard, and 6 first downs. It was a mostly weak offensive showing, as the Hawks actually had more penalty yards (142) than offensive yards (136). They are the first team since 1966 to accomplish such a feat. Interestingly enough, the last team to do so did it against the Cowboys as well.

Going forward, here is the situation:

A lot of things that had to go right for Seattle did, but it’s not enough. Not yet, at least. New Orleans and Cincinnati winning was huge, but Carolina winning did the Hawks no favors. If the Bucs would have managed to steal a win from the Panthers, then Seattle would have been able to control their destiny. Now Seattle has to take care of business at home vs Arizona AND hope the Panthers knock off Atlanta at home. We have to immediately go from hoping for a Carolina loss to praying for them to win.

I know, I’m not crazy about it either. We as fans have to cheer for the rival Panthers. Kind of makes you want to stab yourself. But we must if we want January football for the Hawks. Both teams sit at 9-6, and since the Hawks couldn’t pull it off at home on MNF vs Atlanta, the Dirty Birds hold the tie-breaker over Seattle. If Atlanta wins, regardless of how the Hawks do against Arizona, they are in and Seattle is out.

The good news is that a Panthers victory is not outside the realm of possibility. Carolina beat up Atlanta earlier this season in a game that was only close on the scoreboard. Seattle also has a game where they absolutely should win. Arizona has been a disappointment ever since their 13-3 campaign in 2015, plagued with injuries and subpar quarterback play. Right now, Arizona is the League’s worst road offense, only mustering 14 points per game. I highlighted “should” because the last two seasons Arizona has given the Seahawks an unusual amount of trouble in the Great Northwest. Winners of the last two in Seattle, and three of four overall in the Bruce Arians era, Arizona is the only team to beat Russell Wilson multiple times at home.

I know that they’re “just the Cardinals,” but any team is capable of winning in any given week. The Cardinals would love nothing more than to play spoiler for their hated division rivals, so the Hawks absolutely need to bring their A-game.