I recently chose to focus on my mental health, and I don't regret it.
Family Friends

I'm Finally Learning How To Be Kind To Myself, Accept My Mistakes, And Live Joyfully

Thanks to some old friends and some new advice, I have a brand new perspective on this little thing we call life.

899

I am not the same person I was two months ago, and I couldn't be happier that my life has changed so much this summer. I would like to start out by thanking my best friends, my parents, my husband, and our amazing God for their endless support, forgiveness, open-mindedness, and perseverance.

Without you, I would still be in denial, living as my super-unpleasant past self. So, thank you for sticking by me.

I would also like to say that, by the grace of God, I am proudly changing more and more each day. Self-love is something I have struggled with for a long time, but I am becoming happy with who I am. I actually enjoy hanging out with myself now! It's a wonderful feeling to not be afraid of being alone with myself.

The biggest lesson I have learned thus far is that I can choose to be happy. It's something my mom has always nudged me to do, but I never felt capable enough to actually make myself happy.

I once thought that my emotions were completely out of my control; feelings like anger, overwhelming sadness, and disappointment just seemed to hit me at random times throughout the day. Today, however, I actively dodge negativity with all of my strength because I refuse to fall into that trap again.

Furthermore, I pursue joy because I know that God wants the best for me and for my life. He wants me to live joyfully, love others, be generous, and use my time on earth to further His kingdom. In His eyes, I have no reason to be depressed or to worry. So why should I waste another moment being unhappy?

Two months ago, I honestly didn't understand that I had ownership over my thoughts. It never occurred to me that if I changed my mindset, my entire life would change, too. Now, I'm not talking about superficial things like putting up house decorations that make you feel like you're lounging in a beach cabana.

I'm talking about rewiring your brain to remind you that you are in charge of your life. I'm talking about choosing forgiveness over anger, joy over depression, and positivity over anxiety. I'm talking about forgetting your worries and simply enjoying the blessings that God has given you. I'm talking about living simply, peacefully, and happily.

I am proud of who I have become and how far I have come since I took that first step two months ago. I am even prouder to make this promise to my family, my friends, and my awesome God: I will never be that version of myself again.

Every day is a learning experience, a new opportunity to forgive myself, and a chance to continue nurturing my joyful soul. I'm loving the journey, and I wish nothing but the best for anyone who has yet to embark on their own life-changing venture.

Life is meant to be explored, erased, repeated, and enjoyed. So please, don't settle in life. You are worth so much more.