Don’t Forget To Take Care Of Your Mind During Isolation

It's still just as important as your physical health is.

22

As someone who struggles with her own mental health issues, I can attest to the fact that this pandemic hasn't made managing my mind any easier. And I can guarantee that a pretty big majority of the population, regardless of if they struggle with their mental health or not, aren't doing so hot being isolated during this time of major uncertainty either. I can tell you one thing for sure: keeping your eyes glued to the news stations for all your information IS NOT HELPING!

There are several things you can do for yourself to try to remain at peace, or at least quiet the voices in your head that are making you panic. The biggest thing people have been struggling with is the loss of their "norm" outside the house. Then there's the confusion of conflicting information being given to us by the sources we've been trusting to keep us up-to-date (for me personally, it's been the mask or no mask in public thing). And then there's the struggle of re-learning your family dynamic if you're back home.

Sites like Mayo Clinic and the CDC have released some tips about caring for your mental health during this time. The main points I saw on both websites were taking breaks from the news outlets in whatever ways you get your information and try to keep yourself on as normal of a schedule as you can. This will probably mean creating a new schedule for yourself. Make sure you give yourself ample time to get all of your work done but give yourself breaks to eat and do other activities you enjoy. Getting outside is also still important, as long as you follow safety guidelines, so try to add this into your routine because studies have shown that physical activity can boost your mood.

Honestly, just make sure you keep up with yourself during this time especially. If you already struggle with mental health issues, you know the signs when you start to slip. And if you don't, just be wary of your emotions. Sometimes, all you need is a call from a family member or friend and a break from your room in the house. So, check in with each other, let your loved ones know you're thinking of them.