Mental Health Awareness in Adolescents

The Importance Of Mental Health Awareness In Adolescents

The conversation that I started at my school is so important to be discussed not just in high school but in colleges and all institutions worldwide.

99

Students all around the world can relate to the emotions felt during those particular weeks in the school year where almost every teacher has either a large assignment or a test scheduled. During such weeks, students experience overwhelming feelings of panic, worry, anxiety, and stress. These overwhelming emotions consume the life of a student, provoking a sense of seclusion from their peers. Leaving students with the feeling that they are alone in a constant battle against the world and the institution. Though all students are going through a similar experience, each individual conceals their private struggles. The stigma surrounding mental health issues greatly damages the emotional wellbeing of students, causing them to hide from sharing their internal struggles. But, it is in these environments that schools need to prioritize the emotional and mental health of their students, through providing resources and tools for a safe space. It is during these times in a student's life that they need to be reminded that they have people who care for them and are available to provide resources and the assistance they desperately seek.

Having had a different background in comparison to my high school peers provided me with a unique outlook and position on different systems of support in place for students. I completed my elementary school education up until seventh grade in the Massachusetts Public School system. This school system emphasizes the introduction of safe spaces and school counselors to provide students with the support they need to overcome their mental health struggles. This heightened awareness and sensitivity exhibited by school officials towards mental health services provided children with a vital form of professional assistance. Having utilized this support system at a young age, I was appalled to discover that these practices were not common when I moved to Arizona in 2012. It was during this prominent transition period in my life, where I felt lost, scared, anxious, that I looked for a safe outlet to talk to someone but discovered that no such assistance existed. I felt isolated and neglected, lacking the necessary knowledge of how to process my emotions. Without guidance, I repressed my emotions, concealing them from others. This was my method of coping for almost five years until, during senior year, I realized that I was not alone in how I felt and countless other students were dealing with similar pain. For my senior research thesis, I strove to initiate the conversation between the school's administration and the students to increase awareness of mental health issues.

School stress is a healthy component to any academic environment, however, we must strive to reduce the external stressors placed on students to improve their overall mental wellbeing and happiness. Through my research and presentation, I was able to initiate and facilitate the discussion regarding mental health in my school community. After presenting my findings, the administration began making plans to implement my techniques and strategies into the curriculum and offer counseling, which has successfully been implemented during this school year. Mental health in adolescents is a prevalent concern in our society today, which must be taken more seriously throughout the world. It has been proven that through guidance and support, a healthier learning environment can be provided to all children and truly make a positive impact on their lives.

While my research thesis may have just focused on high school and the specific disconnects faced by my high school, this conversation should in no means be limited to just high school. It needs to be spoken about in colleges, universities, high schools, middle schools, and yes, even in elementary schools around the world. This conversation needs to reach a global level and hopefully, change can be implemented to improve the lives of students everywhere.