“Men And Women Are Created Equal,” But The Fight For Women’s Rights Is Far From Over

You Say That “Men And Women Are Created Equal,” But The Fight For Women’s Rights Is Far From Over

Heroic women have been fighting for us for generations, but there is still a lot of progress yet to be made.

147
Christine Evangelista

I have never been in a place where I felt so welcome, respected, and empowered as a woman ever before in my life until I took my first visit to Seneca Falls, New York. Seneca Falls is the birthplace of women's rights because of the Seneca Falls Convention held in Wesleyan Chapel in 1848.

Walking around the Women's Rights National Historical Park, I felt a mix of feelings that consisted mostly of awe and disgust.

I was in awe of what women such as Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, and many more did for me so I could have the options I do today. Without these heroic women, who knows what women's lives would look like today?

On the other hand, I felt sickened by the fact that women were treated as objects, if not nuisances.

There is no question that these women dedicated their lives to improving the lives of our entire sex and fought relentlessly for equality. But, even though they did so many amazing things for women, we are still not equal to men.

And, quite frankly, I'm so over it.

Before I go any further, carefully read this disclaimer: my point of view is that of a white woman, and I understand that the inequality and issues of minority women are on a grander scale.

To begin, I'm aware that we are not at all in the place we were 100 years ago. I also know that other countries are far more oppressive towards women than the United States. However, just because we are better off than 100 years ago, or not treated like women in other countries, that doesn't mean our current concerns we as women have today are trivial or unreasonable.

Victim blaming. Healthcare. Sexual harassment. Unequal wages. Rape culture. Domestic violence. Workplace harassment. Stereotyping. Restricted access to birth control/reproductive health. Lack of female leadership in government. Need I go on?

Just in case you would like more insight into the lives of women today, check out this SNL music video that lays it all out on the table.

I am well aware that I am privileged in a variety of ways; however, I still face many, many obstacles and everyday disrespect for simply being a woman. Also, even though I am privileged, that does not stop me from wanting to help women who are in different situations than I am. We all need to stand together.

Women shouldn't be blamed for something awful that happens to them at the hands of a man. They shouldn't be scared to go to work, or struggling to make ends meet because they are not considered worthy enough to make what a man does with the same experience and same job. We shouldn't be talked to like children, and our ideas shouldn't be disregarded.

Women deserve to have the simple luxuries men have, such as not being called bossy when we are being assertive, or, God forbid, not be expected to stay at home barefoot and pregnant. If that's what a woman wants to do, that's a whole different story and her wishes should be respected.

Men need to open their eyes to the world their sister, mom, wife, and/or daughter are living in. We are all on this earth together, and life is way too short to not have each other's backs and be respectful and compassionate towards all. Just because your life is just peachy, that does not mean you should turn your back on your neighbor.

While men have a great deal to improve on, a wonderful place to start is with us. Women need to stop telling other women what they should and shouldn't do.

It's time for all of us to unite and work together to make the world better for all women. Set aside your disagreements in religion, beliefs, and opinions. Do what makes you happy, and wish the same for your fellow women.

Let's not continue to live life telling other people what to do and what they should believe. We are all humans who just want to live a decent, happy life. Us women can make that happen if we all bond together and focus on reasons why we should care for each other instead of reasons why we should resent one another.

If you want to be a housewife, be a housewife. If you want to be a doctor, be a doctor. If you want to be a mom, teacher, lawyer, scientist, mathematician, congresswoman, then be that.

Let's encourage each other to live our dreams without having to always put in our two cents. The only life you have to live is yours, and if we stop turning our backs on each other, the opportunities for us will be endless.