Men Give Up Parental Rights

Men Should Be Able To Give Up Their Parental Rights Before Their Child Is Born

If he's not ready to be a parent but the woman is, why should he be dragged into it?

138

I have very strong opinions about abortion. Women everywhere should be able to access safe abortions, and men should not be allowed to force a woman to have a child just because he wants it. However, on the flip side, I do believe that men should have the option to give up their parental rights when their partner gets pregnant and decides to keep it.

Not everyone who gets pregnant is ready for a child. We continue to fight hard for a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy no problem, but we can't leave men out of this discussion. A man should not be allowed to force a woman to do anything, but there's no reason he shouldn't have his own rights. If a man feels that he is not ready to be a father, he should be able to give up that title no questions asked.

When this is done, he should not owe the child anything. I know it sounds harsh, but why should he be harassed into helping a child he's not ready to have? In this hypothetical, the woman has already decided that she is ready for the responsibility of motherhood and accepts the hardships that come along with it. It seems just as barbaric to force a man into fatherhood than it is to force a woman to carry a child she does not want full term.

I truly believe in this system because I'm tired of seeing children raised by inadequate fathers. Because there are so many teen pregnancies nowadays, I feel like I'm able to really catch a glimpse at young people completely unprepared for parenthood. I've seen countless young fathers ignore their children once they're born, and it's heartbreaking to see. The children's mothers constantly bash the fathers on social media where it'll live on forever. These children will grow up with fathers who mess with their heads. Sometimes they'll be around, and sometimes they won't. They'll make empty promises and constantly let their children down.

Therefore, why not avoid this problem altogether and give men their own voice in the abortion discussion? Let men revoke their title, and let them have children when they're ready.