Should Men Cross To The Other Side Of The Street When They See A Woman Alone?
Feminism

To The Guy Who Crosses To The Other Side Of The Street When I'm Walking Alone At Night, Thank You

For starters, I want to say thank you.

1969

As a woman, I am told to cover up... not because of how "inappropriate" my outfit is, but so I don't get groped in bars or raped when I am walking home after a night out. I am told to carry my keys in between my fingers so I can defend myself just in case a guy tries to abduct me. I am constantly reminded to never go anywhere without my pepper spray.

The thought of getting a concealed carry has crossed my mind multiple times just so I can decrease my chances of getting sexually assaulted.

According to Rainn, an American is sexually assaulted every 98 seconds.

Every 98 seconds.

Rainn also says that there is an "average of 321,500 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year in the United States." There are only 365 days in a year. If you do the math, it comes out to about 880 people a day. Men and women are getting their dignity taken from them every single day, but why?

Society has two answers to the "why?"

1. Girls are slutty.

They drink too much, walk home after dark too often, don't cover their drinks at parties, trust men that they shouldn't, help people when they are in need (in reference to "traps" that rapists set,) and go places alone too often. She should've never been there in that dress with that guy. She should've known she was going to get raped.

She could have fought back. She wanted it.

2. Guys can't get raped.

How silly does that sound? A guy getting raped, what a joke. All guys are stronger than girls. Not to mention men can't possibly get taken advantage of. He's lying. He must be gay if he didn't want to screw.

* * *

To solve this problem, teach your young that no means no. Teach your sons and daughters that people are valuable, physically and mentally. Set examples of what love is, and make them feel loved. Do not tell your children that just because a child is mean to them, that means they like them and they are just trying to flirt.

Stop avoiding "the talk" about the birds and the bees because it causes you to be uncomfortable. Your daughter needs to know that she is not entitled to anything, and your son needs to know the same. In a nutshell, rape comes from people that are told "no" multiple times and then let off the hook with a "yes" instead.

Rape isn't just screaming, crying, and fighting back. Rape is being told "no" once, and continuing to push the subject.

Tell your spoiled kids "no." They aren't the center of the world, no matter how badly you want them to be. They are a normal person and they have to follow everyday rules; even when they are unwritten.

Moral of the story is... stop raising rapists. Raise a man that crosses the street at night when I'm walking just so I feel more comfortable. Raise a woman that knows she can't get anything she wants at the snap of a finger. Raise children that can have children and not worry about whether or not their kid is going to get raped.

Stop telling girls to cover up, stop saying boys can't be raped, and fix this problem.