Another Memorable Year In The Books

Another Memorable Year In The Books

All the change 2017 brought me.

121
Another Memorable Year In The Books

2017 was definitely a year to remember! A year full of joy, sadness, anticipation, and change. Throughout the year, I have noticed myself grow a lot as a person; I have grown into a more mature young woman in many different aspects. I started 2017 having no clue where I was going to college, and, with graduation right around the corner, that was enough to keep me up at night!

During duel enrollment at KSU, I was taking a class in the spring that was kicking my butt. I studied, went to review sessions and practically lived in my professor’s office, but no matter the effort I put in I was still failing quizzes and exams. After what felt like the longest 5 months of my life, I ended with my first C, but I learned far more than I had anticipated. This class mainly taught me that I HATE calculus, but more importantly that I will be faced with obstacles and that I have to find a way to overcome them in order to be successful.

This summer felt like every other one at the time, but looking back I can see how much I changed during a short 2 months. I went into the summer thinking it would make leaving for college easier if I slowly started to disassociate myself from previous friends and avoided making new ones. Let me tell you, I did the exact opposite. This summer, I met a new group of friends I would not trade for the world. While working on new friendships I strengthened previous friendships without fear of leaving them for school.

August rolls around and the biggest change in my life is rapidly approaching. I was terrified and excited all at the same time. So many new things were in store for me. First was recruitment, which brought on a rollercoaster of emotions. 7 long days later, I found my home with Gamma Phi Beta and I could not be happier with my decision. Once classes really got going it felt like my world had totally flipped upside down. I could not shake the feeling of it all not being real. Probably until right before Thanksgiving Break, everything felt like a dream I had had for so long that was finally coming true. As the end of the semester rolled around, through all the ups and downs I have noticed how much stronger and more confident I have become academically. I believe God put me at UGA for a reason and I cannot wait to find out what his reason is during my time there.

As the end of the year approaches, I enjoy reflecting on all the memories from the year. Good or bad- it does not matter. I like looking back to see how something I thought was so major and important at the time actually was so small and insignificant. I enjoy thinking back to events I never thought I would overcome and to see how I handled them and grew from the experience. Life is constantly full of surprises and obstacles, and I am excited to see what 2018 has in store for me.