To Alaska, My Most Memorable Experience Ever

The snowy mountain caps and the wintery, majestic glow of the entire scene created an endless smile across my face.

313
Srihitha

My most memorable life experience happened this summer. My family went on an Alaska cruise for a week. We stopped in three cities within Alaska. The second city we stopped in was Juneau, the capital of Alaska. There, we went dog sledding. It was the greatest thing I have ever experienced so far. We went on a helicopter to get to the mountain and from above, we saw the smallest, but prettiest city, Juneau. The view was breathtaking and gorgeous. The white caps on the mountains, the shimmery water, the melting ice coming out to be one of the prettiest things nature gives to us, a waterfall- It was all perfect.

Just when we thought we had seen true beauty, our pilot landed us on top of the mountain. When we got off, I stepped in the thick, cold snow. Never thinking I would be in the snow during the summer, a huge smile had managed to find my face. I ran over to where everyone was standing. Waiting for our next instructions, I looked around the entire area. Wow. It was the only word I said. It was just beautiful. Everywhere you laid your eyes on the whitest of the snow was there. The sun was in the perfect position and the weather was absolutely wonderful. The instructor called our names and we made our way through the thick snow to the dogs. There were what seemed to be about 50 dogs all sitting and barking in the snow. All the huskies were chained to their box-like cage. They were as majestic and breath-taking as the view.

When I got to the set of dogs that would be taking my family and I, we took our seats and braced ourselves for the most amazing experience ever. I took the front seat for the first portion of the ride. Once the instructor got ready to go, she told the dogs to start running. Eager to run, the dogs happily took off. Being a little bit tensed, I grabbed the corners of my seat to stop myself from falling. Then, the cold breeze came and “sled-jumps”. The dogs were going so quick that our sled took some jumps in the snow. With some bits and pieces of snow coming onto my face, the cool breeze on my face, I let go of the corners of my seat- no longer afraid. The sled then came to a stop- we were at our first stop. I slowly got down and let out a huge, “WOW”. Could the view get any better? The minty, blue ice was between two mountains like it lead to a magical forest and the sun was right above the entire scenery. We took some pictures and got back again. This time, it was my turn to drive the sled. I held on to the rods and bent my knees as instructed. Then, the sled took off. With a huge grin plastered onto my face, I took a mental panorama of the stunning scenery in my head to remember for the rest of my life. Next, we stopped at our next stop and slowly got down. Once we got down, we played with all the dogs. There were 12 huskies-all of which I wished to take home. All the huskies were incredibly friendly and strikingly majestic. We got back on the sled and reached the place we had to get off the sled. Sorrowfully, we got off thinking it was over.

Then, our instructor informed us that there were 5-week old puppies that we could play with. Our faces lit up with the thought of baby puppies. We walked over to the baby pups. All anyone could say was, “OH MY GOD, they’re so cute!” That was the plain truth. The puppies were so adorable and they each had such an innocent and friendly nature. We played and held the puppies for 20 minutes and our helicopter came to pick us up. It was time to say goodbye. Wistfully, I put the baby husky back with its mother and looked at the snowy mountains one last time. The helicopter ride going back down felt like it finished right when it had started. It was the perfect ending to the perfect day. That day was one of the greatest, and most memorable events I had ever experienced.