Megyn Kelly Is A Terrible Person
Politics

Megyn Kelly Is A Terrible Person

Please stop celebrating her.

372
Megyn Kelly Is A Terrible Person
Showbiz411

Megyn Kelly has recently gotten a reputation for being the only reasonable person at Fox News. This reputation appeared to be vindicated by her recent decision to leave Fox for NBC News. But just because Megyn Kelly is marginally less bigoted than her former colleagues, it certainly does not mean she is someone we should celebrate. Here are just a couple of examples of her behavior during her time at Fox:

1. She joked about a trans woman getting sexually assaulted in prison.

Back in 2013, a trans woman named Michelle Kosilek was placed in male housing in prison, putting her at a much higher risk for sexual assault. As a guest on the "The O'Reilly Factor," Megyn Kelly repeatedly misgendered Kosilek and joked that she wasn't attractive enough to be sexually assaulted.

In April of 2013, Kelly once again brought up Michelle Kosilek's case, suggesting that Kosilek should not be allowed to receive "elective surgery" while in prison. She also scuffed at the notion of Kosilek being allowed to move to female housing because that would be giving her a "get-out-of-male-prison-free-card."

2. She insisted that Santa Claus and Jesus were "just white."

Responding to a Slatepiece about how Santa should not be portrayed as a white man anymore, Megyn Kelly insisted on her program that it was a "verifiable fact" that both Santa Claus and Jesus were white. When it was pointed out to her that Santa was, in fact, not a real person and that Jesus was absolutely not white, she held her ground. She argued that Santa should be white and she insisted that the debate over Jesus's ethnicity was not settled, even though it absolutely is.

3. She has a long history of excusing police brutality against people of color.

When Michael Brown and Eric Garner were murdered by white police officers, Megyn Kelly repeatedly asked for "proof" that the incidents were racially motivated. Later on, when the DOJ found several extremely racist emails sent between high-ranking cops and court officials in Ferguson, Megyn Kelly claimed that "very few" companies did not circulate racist emails.

When Sandra Bland was brutalized and murdered for not signaling before changing lanes, Megyn Kelly claimed it was actually Bland who was at fault. Similarly, when a video surfaced of a 14-year-old black girl getting violently shoved to the ground by a white police officer, Kelly claimed that the girl "was no saint." It was unclear how Megyn Kelly got that impression from a video that was less than one minute long.

Finally, Megyn Kelly has argued that the reason for police brutality happening is not the long history of systemic racism in this country, but "anti-cop mentality."

4. She routinely has Tony Perkins on her show.

Tony Perkins, head of one of the most violently homophobic and transphobic organizations in the country, is a frequent guest on Kelly's program. During one such program, she asked him why he thought LGBTQ+ activists were so intolerant. She has also expressed sympathy for him, saying that it must be "alienating" for him to be called out for his rhetoric.

5. She has accused the Obama Administration of "forcing diversity."

In 2015, Megyn Kelly accused the Obama Administration of forcing diversity on neighborhoods that were "too white and too privileged." That same year, she criticized a speech Michelle Obama made at Tuskegee University, simply because the first lady talked about racism. She argued that discussion of racial discrimination played into a "culture of victimization" and turned us into a "cupcake nation."

6. She participated in Fox News' fear-mongering about the New Black Panthers.

The New Black Panther Party is an extremely small, fringe group that has no connection to the original Black Panthers. But that did not stop Fox News from pushing a conspiracy theory about how they were apparently intimidating white people to vote for Democrats. Megyn Kelly enthusiastically participated in this witch hunt, despite the fact that their claims had absolutely no basis in fact.

7. She doesn't even call herself a feminist.

Perhaps the most ironic thing about the liberal, white feminist embrace of Megyn Kelly is that she doesn't even consider herself a feminist. Last year, Kelly said that she didn't consider herself a feminist because she believed it "connotes a shrillness I find unattractive." She also urged young women not to "sleep around" as men would not find it attractive.