#MeToo Is More Than A Movement, It's The Knowledge That You're Not Alone

"This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord, your God is with you whoever you go." Joshua 1:9

776
https://www.pexels.com/photo/brown-wooden-cubes-944773/

I know the #MeToo movement has died down but I have finally found the courage to talk about myself and what the movement means to me.

Hello everyone, my name is Kayla Lindberg, I am 20 years old and a sophomore in college. When I was four years old I was sexually assaulted. This is my story.

I literally could describe to you every single detail of the day I was sexually assaulted, it is a day I will never be able to forget. It is a day that haunts me and gives me nightmares and makes me nervous about being around men even 16 years later.

I was four, living with my mom, my aunt and some of their friends in an apartment in my hometown. I was literally the happiest as could be a child. I was running from our apartment to my mom's car to grab something. The parking lot was one building away, and my mom could see me from our patio.

I do not ever remember my mom being nervous about our neighborhood, but she always made sure she kept an eye on me. I don't remember much about exactly what I was going to get or why, but I remember exactly what I was wearing. I had on the cutest shirt with pink letters, and my favorite pair of shorts—I have not seen those clothes since that day.

I got whatever I was getting out of my mom's car and started walking back to my apartment. All I remember is being grabbed. I was pulled into a building and under a staircase. I don't know why - I don't know why he grabbed me or how he knew I was going to be walking there or if he had been watching me or what but that is where I ended up.

I could not scream. I could not move. I could do nothing but sit there and cry and be so confused. I just remember being scared. What is happening? And, what do I do?

I ran straight back to my mom after it happened and just started sobbing, and I told her what happened and I remember her just looking at me with just confusion and hurt in her eyes. She immediately called the police, and I was taken to the hospital.

The man who did this was caught almost immediately. He was brought into jail and is currently still there. He will be there for the next two years and then, he will be deported back to where he was from and I will never ever have to worry about seeing him ever again.

I remember everything that happened in the hospital. I remember how amazing the nurses were. I was so confused, and they made everything make sense they helped me understand what happened and what needed to be done. I could not have asked for better support during that time.

I remember leaving with a blanket that had ballerinas on it and a stuffed duck. I still have both of those packed away because, although that was the worst day of my life, it showed me that there were people out there who wanted to help.

I went through therapy and was told I was fine and I had dealt with it but honestly, I don't ever think I will deal with it. It is something that follows me everywhere. It is something that a lot of people only see when you tell them what happened. It is something that defines me in a way I wish it didn't. It makes me a victim.

I have flashbacks still, everything seems so real and I swear to god I am there. Nobody understands that.

After 16 years, people are finally coming out and being open and talking about sexual assault/violence and rape and I have never felt more accepted than I do today. I remember being so scared to tell people because I was always so scared people would blame me. Being blamed for something you already think is your fault even when it's not, is the hardest thing to deal with.

I remember seeing all of the posts and the tweets of people coming forward and telling their stories and wondering, where did they find the strength to admit what happened out in the open and then I realized; we have nothing to be ashamed of. None of this was our fault and we should not have to hide what happened in fear of being judged. The only people who judge, are those who don't have the ability to empathize or sympathize.

Yes, there are people out there who will blame us somehow, but there are more people out there who support us and truly believe our stories.

I always say "us" or "our" because I am not alone. There are so many men and women, boys and girls who have experienced the atrocity I have and I know that I stand for them and they stand for me. The #MeToo movement is so much more than a hashtag on social media, it is bringing people together in a whim of tragedy. It is supporting one another because we understand one another.

The movement means more to me than I think people can understand because there were times when I felt so alone. I felt so out of place everywhere I went and I always felt like people would judge me if they knew what happened to me. Now, I am confident in myself, I know that I am not alone. I know that there are people in this world who don't know me but support me.

I think the movement made coming forward with stories easy because people don't always believe our stories, but now they do. People listen to us. People see the severity of this tragedy and how it affects everyone in this world one way or another. Even if you have not been a victim of rape, sexual assault or violence, I can guarantee that you know someone who has and they need your support.

Think about what you're saying next time you make even the slightest joke or comment about something pertaining to sexual assault, violence or rape, you don't know who is listening or what they have been through. Always support people who come forward and trust you with knowing their deepest self.

The #MeToo movement is more than a movement to me.

If you or anyone you know has suffered from sexual assault or violence, rape, absolutely anything, please know I am here for you and I support you. Don't ever think that you are alone.