May Is Mental Awareness Month And We Must Break The Stigmas

Breaking down the stigma wall.

111
Elijah Hiett

It is now May, and May is the month for mental awareness! Your mental state is just as important as your physical state. It’s time to break the stigma around mental illness because people should not be afraid to talk about their mental health.

Since 1949, the Mental Health America and other affiliates across the United States have led Mental Health Month in May.

The Mental Health America give tips for talking and for listening when it comes to mental health. For talking, make sure you have enough time to have an in-depth discussion so that way you can cover everything that you need to say. If you’re not sure how to bring up the topic, there are a few ways to get started. You can text someone, and tell them that you have important things to talk to them about you. You can find information and share it. The internet has lots of information at the tip of our fingers. Get people informed about the topic, and get people talking. You can also keep the information, and give it to people in person. Lastly, you can write out what your feeling before talking it out. That’s what I do. If I need to talk to someone about something, and I have no idea what to say, I usually write it out first. You don’t have to say what you have written word for word, but it should help you with what you want to say to someone. Writing it down gives you an idea of what you want to say and that way you won’t forget anything.

For the people that someone wants to talk to you about their mental health, the first rule is to listen, and don’t interrupt. Let them get everything out that they need to get out first. At this point, your only job is to listen, and wait for them to finish before you say anything. While you’re listening, don’t be judgmental, and throughout the entire thing, take them seriously. Don’t just brush it off, or call them names. It doesn't help. Because that person is coming to you with a very serious and very personal subject. They feel like they can talk to you about something that is super important. Don’t tell other people either. This is a tough situation to talk about, and if they wanted other people to know, they would tell them. It’s not your job to tell other people about their personal stuff. You wouldn’t want people sharing your personal stuff. So, don’t do it to others. Okay. Also, be patient with them. Let them talk about the topic on their own terms, and let them know that you are there. But don’t force it. Be genuine about it.

If you don’t understand, ask them questions, and do research on the topic. Don’t just pretend that you understand if you don’t understand. It’s okay if you don’t understand everything. It’s okay if you don’t know everything. No one does. You should try and learn as much as you can about the subject.

Lastly, if you have to tell an adult about what a person told you, then you should. A person’s trust is important. Trust me, I know. I value trust, and it’s really important to me, but their health is also very important and needs to be taken seriously. If they have thoughts or plans about either hurting themselves or others, if they hear or see things that no one else does, and other signs, you should tell someone about them. But not just anyone either.

The number of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. You can also call the local emergency room, call 911, and/or their parents.

If you need to seek help, there are different places for both children and adults, and different places for different reasons. You can call your insurance company, and see which places are covered. You can also call your family doctor to get a referral. You can also find services through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Their website is www.samhsa.gov/treatment or you can call 1-800-662-4357.

There are a lot of National Mental Health Organizations to check out; The American Psychiatric Association, Substance Abuse, and Mental Health Services Administration, The National Association of Psychiatric Health Systems, The National Alliance on Mental Illness, American Psychological Association, The Joint Commission, and Parity Implementation Coalition. There are a lot more that I could list, but these are some of the major ones. There are also a lot of Mental Awareness Movements and Programs as well, like the IDONTMIND movement.

There are a lot of resources and information that are available.

Mental Health is important. Your mind matters. We should start talking about it more, and being more open with mental health. We have to break down the barrier of the stigma, and give help to people that need it.

Mental illness is no joke. It’s not easy. Millions of people, of different genders and backgrounds, live with a mental illness. It just doesn't affect one gender and one background. According to Nami Org, one in five Americans are affected by mental health conditions. I am one of those people.

Stigma brings shame, fear, and silence. Stigma prevents people from seeking help and the treatment that they need. We can’t push it away, or keep it hidden any longer. We need to break down that stigma wall. We need to start talking about mental health more. People with mental health should not be afraid or feel shame. They should be able to talk about the mental health without judgement.

We have to act. Be the change.

Source: Mental Health America and Nami org.