Matthew Bussard Discusses How to Stay Active During Your Retirement

As you get older, you tend to slow down.

24

As you get older, you tend to slow down. It's a natural thing, one that allows you to appreciate the rest of your life more. There are downsides to that, though, such as a decrease in physical and mental exercise. To be able to appreciate this incredible period of your life, you need to stay fit. In this article, Matthew Bussard, a Medicare specialist, discusses how to keep active during your retirement.

Do Volunteer Work

Just because you're retired doesn't mean that you can't still do the work you enjoy. Many retired people find fulfillment helping out using the skills and knowledge they've accumulated throughout their careers. This kind of work is perfect for both mental and physical exercise, depending on what you go for. Mentoring is ideal for those who love working with children or young adults, as you will get to share the wisdom with the next generation. Others may enjoy something like helping out in a food bank or kitchen for the poor. There's a perfect volunteer job waiting for everybody.

Start a Garden

Gardening as a senior allows you to work just about your entire body right on your property. You will find that you will get a good chunk of exercise just doing regular tasks outside. Focus on plants that don't require you to overwork yourself. Consider buying special tools, as there are ergonomic variants of gardening tools that can help you avoid straining yourself too hard while working.

Join a Local Sport Club

For some, nothing else is going to quite give them the same sort of fulfillment as when they participate in their favorite sports. It can be tempting to get yourself into the mindset that you're too old for sports, but the truth is that there are plenty of sports that are fun and viable for any age group. Things like swimming, golfing, hiking, even just plain walking, all of them are perfect for just about anybody, regardless of how old they are.

Travel The Country (Or World!)

Traveling is something that just about everybody from every age is interested in, but most don't have the time or money to be able to devote to it. As a senior, you have both of those things. It will help you to not only appreciate the majesty and beauty of our world but also humble you and help you reflect on your life. Once you're retired with a good bit of savings, the world is your oyster. Make a list of all the places you've always wanted to visit, choose what order you want to visit them in, and start packing your bags.

As you can see, there is no excuse for remaining stagnant. There is an activity for anybody, no matter their situation or areas of interest. If you are struggling to find something for yourself to do that keeps you active, consider following some of these tips!

About Matthew Bussard

Matthew Bussard is a financial services broker offering support to Medicare users in Rhode Island. He is passionate about creating a difference in his clients' lives by helping them enroll in Medicare with professionalism and care. Mr. Bussard volunteers with Medicare recipients at Oak Street Health Clinics, providing efficient, continual guidance to clients every step of the way. Matthew also participates in various charitable activities, including The Hunger Project, the MDRT Foundation, local clean-ups, and little league coaching. He donates to local charities and makes a difference in his community in every way possible.