How Matt Lauer's Dismissal From NBC News Affects Aspiring Journalists

Lauer was going to have to leave one day, however, nobody wanted his departure to be a result of termination.
382

It was the wake-up call nobody was hoping to receive. It was the news that dominated media outlets left and right, and for some journalists including myself, it was news that hit home.

After over two decades with "The Today Show," NBC News has dismissed its longtime anchor Matt Lauer. Lauer's dismissal comes just hours after it was revealed by NBC News he sexually harassed a female employee during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi Russia.

Now hours later, according to WNBC TV, the local station he worked at prior to joining NBC News, the number of employees he's harassed has reached seven.

The news hit me so hard. For a split second, I questioned whether journalism is something I should still do. Afterall, Lauer is one of the reasons why I want to do this. Why I want to start off small then go big and be in front of a camera to inform people of events happening everywhere.

In some ways, Lauer is one the reasons why I have that personable side to me. Truthfully though, he wasn't the only one that inspired me to become a journalist.

Among the people I look up to in the industry include his former colleagues New York News Legend's Chuck Scarborough and Sue Simmons, whom the former "Today Show" Anchor worked with at NBC's New York owned and operated affiliate WNBC-TV.

They, along with their many colleagues at the station and under the NBC Universal umbrella, are the ones who motivated me to step into the field. However, it was Lauer who was the first. Then, seconds later, I realized the world still needs us.

Lauer was going to have to leave one day, however, just like many viewers, journalists, and colleagues of his, nobody wanted his departure to be a result of termination.

Despite the 59-year-olds unacceptable behavior, my dreams are not crushed. They will feel different when I think of them knowing he's no longer the man we saw him as.

However, there are people out there that can and will be just like the one he was seen as before this news broke. It just takes time, talent, and some challenges considering we live in a generation where the news isn't just viewed on a television screen anymore.

Now more then ever, people have the ability to do the most time shifting through resources such as DVR and streaming. As for who will be replacing Lauer has not been disclosed yet by NBC.

The show must and will go on just like it has for the 65 years it's been on the air. It will have a different feel to it in the mornings to come along with "Studio 1A," "Rockefeller Center," "30 Rock," and even NBC itself.