Masculinity For The Modern World

Masculinity For The Modern World

I fully believe that an effort to carefully cultivate and modify these aspects would provide a useful starting point to creating a new image of manhood.

215
Masculinity For The Modern World

I recently wrote a piece on my disgust at the Harvey Weinstein case and, more broadly, what I feel is wrong with men in this moment in time. While saying a lot of what was on my mind, I believe that there is still much more for me to say on men and what I think the solution to the present crisis might be.

The first step to defining a new masculinity would be for men should take a page from the struggle for women’s rights by coming together and organizing a real men’s rights movement. Now, I understand that the term "men’s rights" movement is a loaded one, conjuring up images of neckbearded, basement dwelling, anime pillow hugging, internet trolls who quote Rick and Morty and share white supremacist frog memes.

However, the individuals I just described don’t understand the concept of men’s rights in any way, shape, or form. Instead, all they are is a duplicitous reactionary front that preys on emotionally vulnerable and socially alienated young men, twisting them through manipulative propaganda and a false sense of community into weapons of resentment and hate that prop up the existing order.

A real men’s rights movement would be the antithesis of this, working to provide support and community without manipulation. The ultimate goal would be to demonstrate to men that the path to empowerment does not have to come at the expense of someone else and that it is fully possible to be secure and happy in one’s self without demonizing others.

In addition to organizing and advocating for men, the movement would strive to work in concert with the existing feminist movement to share the burden of creating a more gender-equal society and bring attention to issues that specifically affect men. Men cannot leave the work of saving themselves from the patriarchy to women alone. It’s unfair to them to be the ones wholly responsible for our salvation and it reflects incredibly shamefully on us.

The feminist movement, as amazing as it is, cannot do everything by itself, nor is it always equipped to handle the different ways that sexism affects both men and women. The goal of the two movements should be not competing for power and influence, but collaborating to create change, bringing attention to the disastrous consequences of sexism and patriarchy for all people.

The second step in defining a new masculinity would be more men to change how masculinity is portrayed and measured. Culture is in a state of flux right now, as attitudes and opinions established over thousands of years clash with modern notions of equality and freedom.

While the forces of modernity have won the war, total victory is still a long way off, as traditional ideas and attitudes still wield considerable influence. We are still in the messy post-revolutionary phase where the old order is gone, and what will replace it is anyone’s guess as various visions of the future compete to become the de facto path forward.

Men are going to need to engage in a lengthy process of trial and error to find what better serves men’s needs and meets the requirements of engaging in a more gender equal society. This effort does not have to be completely from scratch. Traditional masculinity, while rife with flaws, does possess certain useful and admirable traits, and men would be remiss to leave them consigned to history.

I fully believe that an effort to carefully cultivate and modify these aspects would provide a useful starting point to creating a new image of manhood. While determining what masculinity is will be no easy task, it is exceedingly simple for us to know what it is not. For example, it is most certainly not harassing and objectifying women.

The third and most important step is the one that I believe will be the most difficult, but the most effective. This step will require the efforts of all men. Simply put, it is to strive to be better, more decent people. The point of the feminist movement, indeed the point of any social movement, is to make society a better place, and the fastest way to make that happen is to be the change you want to see.

For men, this means making an honest effort to be better friends, husbands, fathers, and ultimately people. This will not be a particularly glorious change, nor a quick one, but little by little, one step at a time progress can be made. Through organization and activism, cultural experimentation, and a thorough commitment to human civility, I fully believe a path to a better masculinity is possible, and with it, a more egalitarian future.