Marvel's 'The Defenders' Is A Cringe-Fest Of A Good Time

Not the Netflix hero team-up we need, but the one we (probably) deserve.

77

Just a couple of weeks ago, Marvel's "The Defenders" premiered on Netflix, an eight episode miniseries which brings together previous Marvel superheroes who have their own individual shows. Fans across the internet rejoiced in Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist joining forces to battle the criminal organization known as The Hand.

Take away that epic synopsis, and you admittedly have some seriously cringe-inducing moments on this barely eight hour set of episodes. As a series, the show is definitely enjoyable, but my goodness was there some truly cheesy, eye roll-worthy bits in this thing. And don't worry, below is a handful of the true highlights for Marvel's "The Defenders":

Danny Rand is the immortal Iron Fist (Protector of K'un-Lun) (Sworn Enemy of The Hand)

Seriously, this guy has to mention how important he is and his relevancy to the situation in every single episode. It's like he's worried that everyone watching the show loves the other main characters more than him, and he's trying to compensate by being the one who knows who The Hand is and what they're trying to do. (Which is exactly what is happening, as the other three characters are much more well-written than Danny Rand, who, if you haven't heard, is the immortal Iron Fist, protector of K'un-Lun, sworn enemy of The Hand.) Meanwhile, Daredevil already knows who The Hand is, and Jessica Jones doesn't really care. The way these two (literally) push Danny around is quite satisfying, but doesn't make you forget the millionth time the obnoxious kid has to mention how he is the immortal Iron Fist, protector of K'un-Lun, sworn enemy of The Hand. As for Luke Cage...

Luke Cage Is Confused By Literally Everything

If you thought Danny Rand mentioning his importance in nearly every episode was annoying, get ready for Luke Cage to act totally confused and intellectually incompetent every chance he gets. I get that he's the one of the main characters who has never dealt with The Hand, and has never gone up against a particularly supernatural/beyond grounded-in-reality threat, but come on already. He conveniently prompts more exposition-heavy dialogue by asking if The Hand are seeking to obtain immortality (not that shocking of a concept to grasp, considering, you know, The Avengers exist), and demands to know everyone's backstory (how much more interrogating are you going to give a blind lawyer).

However, as much as these two stick out like sore thumbs, nothing compares to the most hilarious moment of the entire show:

The Battle for New York is the Definition of "Over-hyped"

Even during earlier episodes of Daredevil's Netflix seasons, the title character's mentor, known as Stick, hinted constantly about some sort of battle for New York against the evil organization known as The Hand. We were even treated to the same propping up of the finale throughout season one of "The Defenders". But when you watch the entire show, and finally get to the last episode, and the heroes all reach the climactic fight... it turns out the battle for New York is a fist fight involving a couple dozen people, in a pitch black cave miles under the city, with Wu Tang Clan playing in the background.

Honestly, as soon as the "epic" fight starts, I was ready to go back to more scenes of Danny Rand explaining who he was to everyone he saw while Luke Cage opened the flood gates for more expository dialogue. I'm surprised The Hand didn't give up half way through fighting and go "you know what? We've been at this whole evil villain thing for a few seasons now, and we're expecting a little bit more. We'll just go home and wait until the writers can actually plot out a decent 'Battle for New York.'"

Overall, Marvel's "The Defenders" is definitely a solid show. It peaks around episodes three and four, and has some additional highlights throughout the rest of its runtime (with Krysten Ritter and Charlie Cox providing standout performances as Jessica Jones and Matthew Murdock/Daredevil respectively). Mike Colter continues his cheesy-yet-enjoyable portrayal of Luke Cage, while Finn Jones as Danny Rand, or the immortal Iron Fist, protector of K'un-Lun, sworn enemy of The Hand, improves substantially as a lead character, while still suffering from poor, cringe-inducing writing. All in all, it's a lovable cast of characters that will have you laughing, cheering, crying, and cringing for nearly eight hours.

Marvel's "The Defenders" is now available to stream on Netflix.